66 comet is needing help

The Big Comets
fryedaddy

66 comet is needing help

Post by fryedaddy »

i took my old comet to the store a while back and i noticed the clutch pedal did not feel rite.when i got to the store i mashed the clutch and it felt like the pedal broke.it went to the floor and stayed.my z bar is cracked my bushings in my pedal are shot,so i guess i need a new z bar and clutch-brake pedal bushings.on to of that i am going to have to replace my oil pan.i let a block slip off my jack and when it dropped it dented my oil pan pretty bad.i guess i will buy one of them too.
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

Joe Travers

Re: 66 comet is needing help

Post by Joe Travers »

Knock the dent out of the pan w/ a hammer & dolly, save some $$$ for other parts.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

fryedaddy wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:10 pm
i took my old comet to the store a while back and i noticed the clutch pedal did not feel rite.when i got to the store i mashed the clutch and it felt like the pedal broke.it went to the floor and stayed.my z bar is cracked my bushings in my pedal are shot,so i guess i need a new z bar and clutch-brake pedal bushings.on to of that i am going to have to replace my oil pan.i let a block slip off my jack and when it dropped it dented my oil pan pretty bad.i guess i will buy one of them too.
When you pull your oil pan check your oil pickup really well for cracks and if it got bent or damaged. As Joe said you may be able to straighten the pan if it is not too bad. If you even suspect the oil pickup tube/screen was damaged I would replace it.

Lou

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

You may want to weld up the Z-bar as well. They don't give those things away for FE engines :?

A lot of this aftermarket stuff is junk.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

crites makes a z bar for fe engines.it should be good quality.my z bar aint nothing but a big booger welded piece of junk.it needs replaced.i may try to save the oil pan.your right a z bar for an fe is $.
fryedaddy

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

hi everyone,i have been trying to work on my clutch linkage lately.i got my old z bar and clutch rods off and i like 1 bolt on the engine bracket with the ball on it to get it off.the reason i like one more bolt on the bracket is, after recovering from the nov. 3rd accident when i fell and broke my ribs,i took it easy and took my time on it but my rib pain in my back flared back up and i'm not able to get that last bolt out yet.good news is most of the play in my clutch system was lack of bushings.the plastic balls at the ends of the z bar were broke and or missing,i can make them with my 3d printer,and the rod ends of the z bar uses the same bushings as my shifter. they were sloppy. my z bar can be saved so it shouldn't cost any money.i just need to get better enough to finish the job.
fryedaddy

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Hey Fry-

Do you have to remove the bracket on the block to change the bushing? Haven't worked on a FE in a long time, can't remember.
Know the feeling, working alone with a torn up back.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

no the bracket dont have to come off,but im going to print the bushing to fit the z bar tube and i need the bracket off to get measurements for my printer and test fit everything before i install it all.
fryedaddy

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Hey,I really appreciate your desire to do it yourself but in my experience,3d printed stuff doesn't hold up in high stress,wear situations.Why go to all the work when you can buy the whole deal for 17 bucks?

https://www.autokrafters.com/product/20 ... oz-7543kit

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i bought those off ebay for the zbar and i printed the ones on the linkage,we have several diff grades of plastic,one is for automotive and it is very durable
fryedaddy