Original fiberglass hoods for the '65...?

The Big Comets
GasserMac

Original fiberglass hoods for the '65...?

Post by GasserMac »

I understand that a limited number of the 65 Cyclones came with the fg hoods to get the publics reaction for the upcoming 66 models. The number made escapes me though. Something like 200 plus...? Currently there are like 50 or so remaining? Is anyone familiar with the current repops as far as quality?
Thanks

poboyjo65

Re: Original fiberglass hoods for the '65...?

Post by poboyjo65 »

I've heard around 300,one guy said 315 but no real proof on any of it. I've seen quite a few of them pop up for sale in the last decade or so,,,,so I think the number would be a little higher.
I bought one of the repops from Ky. it needed quite a bit of work but I like it ,seems like everything I like is a lot of work or expensive or both :roll: .
I think he is making them again. dont know of anyone else making them but Kerns auto in louisville ky. & they can be made funtional,has same bottom snorkle as the repo afx hoods

The afx style hood is plentiful & made by crites.
Johno

GasserMac

Post by GasserMac »

Yep, currently have an A/FX Crites hood in the corner that may get some mods. Got an old Grump Lump scoop many years ago so I'll graft it to the Crites hood to accomodate the tunnel ram. Modify an original 65 fg hood?...blasphemy.
Going for an early 70's vibe where wild paint jobs and scoops were over the top. Racing decals on the windows.
Traction bars and air shocks. Cragar rims. Old school...Man I miss the old days and the old ways.....sorry for the rant...Mac...

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Mine and Comethead's are the only two I'm aware of on the forum that are originals. They are pretty rare, and cost a ton if you can find one. I saw one for sale at the Charlotte Motor Speedway meet about 5 years ago. It looked like it had fallen off a truck and skidded down the highway face down including missing one back corner, and the guy wanted $1200 for it. When I bought my car, the PO had put a steel hood on it, and he had the glass hood wrapped in bubble wrap. Said he was "saving it". I figured that was like Aunt Gladys covering all her living room furniture with those clear plastic slip covers so they wouldn't get dirty from people sitting on them. She can't really enjoy them 'cause she's "saving them". :roll: So, I swapped the hoods out. The nice thing about Poyboy's is he made it functional, where mine is just for looks. Of the three glass hoods you usually see for the 65's, the original, the AF/X and the teardrop, I've always liked the original design the best. 8)

Jim

GasserMac

Post by GasserMac »

Well...make that 3 of us on the forum. Mines an original. Car has a special order code that, I believe, relates to the hood, remote door mirror or dash pad delete. Tried years ago to investigate the code numbers but came up zero. Best I could establish was that specialty codes were individual to each car and that there was no set code for a certain option(?)...
Underneath the hood it has the steel mesh imbedded into the fg as a weak attempt to reduce engine noise from coming through the radio speakers. It was also to help prevent high static from fuzzing out the radio while waiting at a stoplight due to overhead high voltage transmission lines.
Oh, how I remember my old man grumbling every time that happened. One could almost tune the engine from the distributor firing when the radio was set to certain AM stations while idling in the driveway. Good times...

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Ratical made one by skinning a 65 hood and 66 hood then combing them. Came out great.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2247&p=9757&hilit=66+hood#p9757
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:19 pm
That's really hip!!! 8)
Imagine popping the hood and seeing a cross ram Mickey Thompson intake with two Holleys 👍

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

comethead

Post by comethead »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:49 pm
Mine and Comethead's are the only two I'm aware of on the forum that are originals. They are pretty rare, and cost a ton if you can find one. I saw one for sale at the Charlotte Motor Speedway meet about 5 years ago. It looked like it had fallen off a truck and skidded down the highway face down including missing one back corner, and the guy wanted $1200 for it. When I bought my car, the PO had put a steel hood on it, and he had the glass hood wrapped in bubble wrap. Said he was "saving it". I figured that was like Aunt Gladys covering all her living room furniture with those clear plastic slip covers so they wouldn't get dirty from people sitting on them. She can't really enjoy them 'cause she's "saving them". :roll: So, I swapped the hoods out. The nice thing about Poyboy's is he made it functional, where mine is just for looks. Of the three glass hoods you usually see for the 65's, the original, the AF/X and the teardrop, I've always liked the original design the best. 8)

Jim
I used to browse CL nationwide for Comet parts. Got lucky and found the hood in the Chicago area being sold by a dead Corvette guys buddy. He really didn't know what it was. I sent pics to one of the original Comet East members to confirm it was an original 65 hood. When he confirmed that it was I pulled the trigger. I think all in with shipping I paid $450 for it :oops:
My car is a Caliente not a cyclone. Not sure if a customer could’ve ordered that hood for a Caliente.
I also found a 63.5 S22 hardtop for cheap…sitting on the rear floor board was a 65 triple gauge “Rally pack” and a few Mercury under dash AC units. :D

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Joe Travers wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:01 pm
Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:19 pm
That's really hip!!! 8)
Imagine popping the hood and seeing a cross ram Mickey Thompson intake with two Holleys 👍

Joe
Im not much on stock, this is the way it was, the way it has to be.
That was what I really enjoyed about Ratical's build. No fear!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:09 am
Im not much on stock, this is the way it was, the way it has to be.
That was what I really enjoyed about Ratical's build. No fear!
I'm not much of a fabricator, found a fellow Canuck popping fiberglass hoods for the '63.
Is there much (if any) weight savings going to fiberglass? They are awfully expensive, not counting shipping.
I have cut stock Mustang hood for functional CJ scoop. May be cheaper (and easier) to find another stock hood and modify it, as well.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi