Weak Headlight Problem

The Big Comets
Maine Pilot

Weak Headlight Problem

Post by Maine Pilot »

Ever since I've had my '66 Caliente, (10 yrs.now), I've had a problem with weak headlights. A couple of years ago while the car was in a local garage, I asked the mechanics to replace the original lights with updated halogens, but there wasn't much of an improvement.

Then, a couple of years ago, my horn became anemic. A friend suggested spraying an electrical contact spray such as CRC 5-56 on the connecting pins/terminals and the horn miracalously came back to life. I also used the same spray on my front parking/directional lights and the results were a greatly improved light intensity. I'd like to do the same with the headlight connectors, but it looks like such a confined space to be able to pull the connectors off.

Does anyone here know of a trick to get easier access to the headlights/connectors?
My wife says I only have 2 faults. I don't listen...and something else

Caveman49

Re: Weak Headlight Problem

Post by Caveman49 »

If you’re talking about the plugs behind the lights, just pull the trim rings off and pull the lights out, unplug, spray, and put back in. They’re easy to remove, at least on our 66 they were. Sounds like a good product to use, might have to get some. Is your charging system putting out a good charge? Also check all your grounds, they tend to be problematic.
Motor Safe,
Lee

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

When you have the connectors apart, check the voltage at the connector coming from the light switch. There maybe a bad connection at the light switch.
Tom
tomb's 65

comethead

Post by comethead »

A couple years ago I installed a plug-in headlight relay harness that greatly improved the halogens at night. https://www.haloheadlights.co/product/2 ... e-harness/

Along with that I installed an aftermarket horn relay harness as well https://www.npdlink.com/product/horn-relay/195993
Now they are LOUD!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Sounds like a good product Joe, I like the fact it lets all 4 lights work on low and high. 👍
Motor Safe,
Lee