Vin locations, spark plugs, battery

The Big Comets
Boxerhips

Vin locations, spark plugs, battery

Post by Boxerhips »

Posted also on Facebook page.

I am now the proud owner of a Comet. But have many questions and needs.

1966 comet cyclone gt
Vin: 6J26Sxxxxxx
I have been told it’s the better 390, but can’t find in any books. Most have model 27 and 29.

Intake 6AEH
Heads 6AER (very hard to read)
Are these the correct numbers?

I need to know what battery is the largest in stock tray?

What spark plugs to use, autolite “45”( they have many)
Or Motorcraft sp-420-x

I will say when I took one plug out it was pretty fouled with carbon and was told they were in there about 10,000 miles.

Also, does anyone know for sure where the bins are located? The rad support has been painted many times.

I looked on the left inner fender, rad support and also under the pass side carpet. But can’t find. I just want to verify the Vin on the door/title matches the car.

Caveman49

Re: Vin locations, spark plugs, battery

Post by Caveman49 »

Welcome to the site, and congratulations on your find, very hard to find those models. Pics and location would be nice.

VINs should be under both pass/driver fender, about a foot or so back from the headlight. You’ll have to lift up the fender slightly (undo a couple fender bolts) to see them. At least on my 66 Caliente that’s where they are. The other questions will need researched a bit more, or I’ll ask my Comet guru when I get a chance, he has 3 totally restored 66 Cyclone GT big blocks.

This is where mine are at ps

Ds
Last edited by Caveman49 on Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motor Safe,
Lee

Boxerhips

Post by Boxerhips »

Thank you I will find the vin under the fender this weekend.

Are Autolite "45" spark plugs ok?

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

They should be fine, I’m going to check with my friend Doug, see what he’s using.

I posted pics of the fender vin on mine (above), hopefully you can see yours without removing too much.

Update: My Comet guru said the big block (bb) battery tray is different than the sb tray, he uses the group 27, said sb uses the group 24.
Also they don’t make repop bb batt trays, only the 24s for the small blocks, as far as he remembers. He uses whatever NAPA recommends for bb spark plugs.
VIN is also on the radiator support as well.
Hope this helps.
Motor Safe,
Lee