dash removal on '66

The Big Comets
66sleepr

dash removal on '66

Post by 66sleepr »

Has anyone removed a dash on a '66? I would really like to remove it and do some bump and paint work. The lower end of the dash is no problem, however, the top where it meets the glass is my question. Can this be removed safely? Is it welded, or just a bond? Any help would be great. THis is not the dash pad here, it is the actual entire dash.

rditz

Post by rditz »

The dask pad is bolted in. it is easiest if you have the instrument cluster out as well asn the golve box... the heater cowl is held in by the bolts on the top end.. be careful those are very fragile.....

also, you should be aware that as far as i know there are no aftermarket dashpad covers....

rod
66 Comet Capri 2dr hdtp - Cyclone Hood, 302, T5, Flat Black, TuTone Red Interior

66sleepr

Post by 66sleepr »

Hey Rod- Thanks for the reply. You have been a source of great knowlege lately. I am the guy that has been speaking with you via e-mail about the t-5 and trans hookup (the one with the black 202). Are you saying that if I remove the dash pad, and then the heater bolts, I will be able to pull the entire dash completely out?

rditz

Post by rditz »

Mike,

I had not removed the entire dash out of my car and believe that the metal structure is welded in... Why do you want to remove that???

not sure if i have answered your question or not...

rod
66 Comet Capri 2dr hdtp - Cyclone Hood, 302, T5, Flat Black, TuTone Red Interior

66sleepr

Post by 66sleepr »

Rod- I would really like to remove the dash to send out to paint. I could have him do it while in the car, but it would be easier to do body work outside. Also, it will reduce the chance of overspray on the rest of my car. I pulled the dash pad mounting plate, but no other bolts found on the dash. I did notice that it is either welded at some point, or just a bead of adhesive which I may be able to cut and pull it out. I still need to find out if anyone knows 100% how it is connected.

rditz

Post by rditz »

I didn't go that far, but i am sure someone here or CometEast can answer this for you...

good luck...

rod

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I am pretty sure it is part of the unibody. I don't think you want to remove it.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058