8 inch rear end advice

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
popscomet

Re: 8 inch rear end advice

Post by popscomet »

FRYDADDY,,HE TALKED LIKE IT WAS ALREADY out ,he just wanted to be sure of what he had before he installed it..pop
pop/glenda

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i know its out,i just thought i would throw that in there in case anyone didn't know.
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

all th 8" talk makes me want to do somethng with mine, when I am able I guess I will store it inside, I think the 8.8 was the best path for me to go down since I needed to put new gears in the 8" anyway, got rear discs, and track lock plus 5 bolt wheels to match the front to add all that to the 8" would have been pricy and I kept it all Ford in the process anyway, I think the 3.73 ratio is a good match to the 250 &T5, people probably make fun of me when I talk about it being powerful, but I have owned V8 stuff before obviously nothing performance and so far rhis feels relly good, ˆ know it won't have any top end but as long as it goes 70 MPH with a little to spare I am happy, still wonder how the fuel economy will be, not that that really matters to me but it is supposed to be my trip car when am done, occasionally my wifee talks about gdtting another car to drive to the places we never go to :roll: I keep telling her the Comet is a new car mechnically, but I don't think she quite gets it :lol: , you know it is not about the destination (except PF) but the drive and it may as well be fun then it doesn't matter ehre you are going, most new cars have an automatic and cruise because they are just a means to get someplace, not all that fun to drive, I have been thinking on my seats and the rebuild that is coming, since I can't get premade covers for those seats and they are in serious need of new foam etc, I need to make sure they are comfortable for the long frive but not like sitting in an easy chair just not pinching m my back or my legs making my hips get sore and hving to stop a lot, I out the 22 gallon tank in there so I could just drive and drive but at our age now we have to make pit stops for other reasons :roll: so the fuel stops can be a welcome relief :P I think it will be easy driving but that is still to be proven, I know the air bags wee put on to make for a smoother ride but the front is a little stiff because they require more air pressure, the rears are running near zero air but that may change with 22 gal of gas and a couple of suitcases and spare parts and tools, if I was doing it over the front mairbag mounts would be a little lower so I could run a bit less air at ride height.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

First off I agree with just counting the teeth to figure ratio because the poster said his posi trac chunk was out already.

but on another note this ;
fryedaddy wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:06 pm
spin the drive wheel,turn the tire-wheel two turns,count how many times the yolk turns to get the ratio.
If I remember right this sounds more like a way you check an open diff ? or turn it once & multiply the yoke turns x 2,right? I thought you only spin the tire once on a ls /posi ? correct me if this is wrong.
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

lavron wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:44 pm
if I was doing it over the front mairbag mounts would be a little lower so I could run a bit less air at ride height.
Spacers?

Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:06 pm
Spacers?
I guess I could put one either over or under the bags or both, of course I need to drive it first and see how it is, I kinda like a little firmer suspension (harsher) but I know my wife doesn't, we had a neon sport at one time with what they called the touring suspension, i was a bit harsher but I liked it, my wife thought it was a little rough,that was her car, it decided to just quit on us one day so we traded it for the first Jeep Cherokee we got*(not the red one we still have that one is mine, it has a 3.5" lift and 33' tires, I wish I had it running right now so I could get to the mailbox and back, my wife won't let me try in the truck, she id afraid if I had any trouble I was in no condition to walk out in the cold and snow up the mountain, I did that once when we had 18" of snow and was in good health, I thought I was not going to make it, I had taken the tractor down to scrape the snow off the dricveway but it was so wet and heavy and deep the tractor could not hadly get back up the hill so I left it at the bottom, I did not think ahead far enough and was just wearing some tennis shoes and a pair of overalls, I was soaking wet and was actually afraid I would get hyperthermia and freeze to dearth right in front of my own house not 50 feet from the door, I will nevr do that again :roll: I guess my wife won't let me anyway :P

I know just about everyone is having nasty weather, at least here in the US so I am not going to complain (too much) my neighbor bought our UPS package up today and said he would bring the mail up sometime this week, he has a big 4X4 side by side ( I mean it is biger than my wifes EcoSport and probably cost as much) he said they still had trouble getting up the hill, my wife said, I was practicing my new hobby of napping when he came up :roll: I think I might go pro I am getting pretty good at it :shock: we hae had about 8"-10" of snow so far, but they are saying it is going to be 30+ over the next week or so, I never thought I would look forward to 30° weather :?

Se Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

lavron wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:26 am
we traded it for the first Jeep Cherokee we got*(not the red one we still have that one is mine, it has a 3.5" lift and 33' tires, I wish I had it running right now so I could get to the mailbox and back
I had a red '91 4X4 Cherokee XJ Sport. Couldn't stick it. They're still a good buy if you can find a clean one.
I would put it up there with the old Broncos, as far as that goes, but those are going through the roof :?

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:00 pm
If I remember right this sounds more like a way you check an open diff ? or turn it once & multiply the yoke turns x 2,right? I thought you only spin the tire once on a ls /posi ? correct me if this is wrong.
No correction. You're spot on, Sir :wink:

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Joe Travers wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:01 am
I had a red '91 4X4 Cherokee XJ Sport. Couldn't stick it. They're still a good buy if you can find a clean one.
I would put it up there with the old Broncos, as far as that goes, but those are going through the roof
MIne is an 89 2 Dr still has AMC stickers on the motor.
I need to do a little rust patching on the body after I am done with the Comet and paint it camo, fix where the rats chewed the wiring bundle and do a bunch of bed liner on it just so have it for times like now, the only time I stuck this one was after that same big snow that stuck the tractor, I had been going in and out with it for several days but after a thaw and refreeze I was coming up around the pond and lost momemtum so I was backing back down and hugging the ditch on the left side because the pond was on the right and was afraid of sliding off in it, instead I slid in the 3 ft deep ditch on the left side, lifted the right front tire off of the ground so that was all she wrote, got froze in that night but my cousin came over the next day, we attached a come-a-long to the front tow hook and a tree, pulled the tire back down to the ground and it drove right out of the ditch.

Since we are talking about diff gear ratios and not Jeeps, it has 4.50 gears in it. :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread