cheap air pump evac system

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
loman

cheap air pump evac system

Post by loman »

My breather cap on my fill tube had been spewing oil out after every pass on my valve cover. I have so far just been cleaning the valve cover every time. This past weekend I tried plugging the fill tube and ran a piece of 5/8 hose from each valve cover to a catch can. After the first pass, I checked everything out and I had oil all over the timing chain cover and running down to the oil pan rail. I removed the plug and put my original breather cap back on and just wiped off the valve cover each time again. Talking to a couple of guys at the track about my issue and I found out they were having the same problem. They solved it by getting a 12v electric air pump off a late model car and plumbing it in. They only switch it on when they are on the track because of the higher rpm's. While driving around the pits they leave it off. One person was using a 2009 VW jetta pump and the other said he was using a Cavalier pump. Does anyone know of a Ford air pump that would work? If so, what year and models? I'm not looking to find more HP through a true evac system, just trying to get rid of leaks.

Joe Travers

Re: cheap air pump evac system

Post by Joe Travers »

Do you have the tall vent tubes on your valve covers now? They should help, I would think.
Had a old pair of baldies many years ago off a FE race engine. Some racers welded a pair on each cover.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

loman

Post by loman »

I currently have stock style valve covers with an a plastic elbow that I connected the hoses to that go to catch can. My oil fill tube is in the intake manifold. When I use the breather style cap for it, then there is oil spewed out into valve cover. When I tried to plug the fill tube to force the oil out the tubes then I had oil get pushed out around the timing chain cover and intake manifold gasket.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Check out the Cammer pic on the A/FX thread in the Lounge. Tall tubes with vented caps. If you can still find the old vented caps that clip in the vent pipes, cut your own out of tubing and weld 'em into the covers. You can also buy a pair of '65 covers with the open vent tube before PCV, add the tall tubes on those.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I have seen this system on quite a few race engines:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-85700
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Those exhaust evac systems do work somewhat but the angle which the tubes are welded in is critical.If you have a possible blow by problem,they will just plug up and be ineffective or possibly detrimental. Are you sure you're not getting too much oil up top?

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

vicegrip wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:16 am
Are you sure you're not getting too much oil up top?
Old restrictor trick for the rockers- cut 3/4" long steel or aluminum stock that will slip into the oil passage under the rocker stand, o.d. same as the passage. Drill 0.090" through it and slip it in before installing the head. Ford Performance- Pat Ganahl, 1979

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

.090 might be too big. HV,HP pump? What weight oil? Baffles in the valve covers? Not saying you have the problem but it would be nice to know how much oil is hanging around under the covers....for more reasons than your issue.

loman

Post by loman »

A/FX wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:42 pm
I have seen this system on quite a few race engines:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-85700
I have that style system on my black car. On my 390 car,everything is so tight in the trans tunnel. I was trying to find an alternative way to evac.

loman

Post by loman »

vicegrip wrote:
Those exhaust evac systems do work somewhat but the angle which the tubes are welded in is critical.If you have a possible blow by problem,they will just plug up and be ineffective or possibly detrimental. Are you sure you're not getting too much oil up top?
I'm sure there is plenty of oil up top, but I do have it restricted. I drilled out the oil passage of my trick flow heads and tapped it for set screws. Then I drilled the size oil hole I wanted. I don't remember what size that was right now. But it is the recommended size that I read in the FE book written by Barry Robotnick.

loman

Post by loman »

Joe Travers wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:22 am
vicegrip wrote:
Are you sure you're not getting too much oil up top?
Old restrictor trick for the rockers- cut 3/4" long steel or aluminum stock that will slip into the oil passage under the rocker stand, o.d. same as the passage. Drill 0.090" through it and slip it in before installing the head. Ford Performance- Pat Ganahl, 1979

Joe
Your Pat Ganahl book looks like the same one my dad has, well used and held together with duct tape. Very good book. :lol:

loman

Post by loman »

vicegrip wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:18 am
.090 might be too big. HV,HP pump? What weight oil? Baffles in the valve covers? Not saying you have the problem but it would be nice to know how much oil is hanging around under the covers....for more reasons than your issue.
Vicegrip,
standard oil pump and pressure. 30W oil. Valve covers do have baffles.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

loman wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:51 am
Your Pat Ganahl book looks like the same one my dad has, well used and held together with duct tape. Very good book. :lol:
It was great when we had to hunt in junkyards to find good parts. :D
Aftermarket picked up the slack in the '80s but still some good stuff in there.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

loman

Post by loman »

Went to the junkyard or as I call it the automall. Looked at several mustangs and didn't see any air pumps. So I picked a pump from a vw Jetta. If I have time this weekend I'll work on installing it.