drag strip test and tune with new Comet set up

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: drag strip test and tune with new Comet set up

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Judd;I would think with that low first gear and 4.56s you should be fine.Your cam should be good for more rpm,mine is a solid roller .672" lift,good for more rpm than I use. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Roy
I'm hopping it will be I'm running a small hydralic roller cam now and it runs out on the top end. I can run with the 10 second cars till just past the tree then they leave my in the dust.

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Well the 4.57 locker is back together I got crazy and bought N case with aftermarket billet caps and a Daytona pinion suport. I'm headed to the track again wednesday to see if I can run with that 12.10 ChevyII. I richened the jets up 8 sizes for the 10% alky gas we have here and It sounds healthier any way.
Attachments
MVC-001F.JPG
MVC-001F.JPG (87.95 KiB) Viewed 3627 times

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Judd;Go Get Them!!! I feel an 11 coming out of that old bucket!!!STAND ON THE GAS!!!! ROY.

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Well I went and 12.28 was the best I got , hot air and the track sucked on the second to last run It hooked the spun about one rotation of the slicks then rehooked and I have a vibration like when I had the bent yoke! I got the evil red eye on the first round. I set the car on stands and let it idle in 5th but I can't see any thing that looks bent.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Judd;did you check your axles?You might have twisted one when it spun then hooked. ROY.

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Roy
Not yet My axle repair man said I may have twisted the drive shaft just enough to put it out of balance also. It's been raining to much to get under it yet. BAD ASS video on youtube by the way!!! It's making it hard not to take it to the track and break it all the way tomorrow.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Judd;don't break it on purpose!!! Check the driveshaft and the axles,you don't want to wreck the car!!!! My nephew attached a small video camera to my gages on top of the dash to get that.I was at Sacramento Raceway last Sunday for an All Ford Show and Race[9 hour tow each way],the Comet ran 10.70s at over 127 mph on 3 TTs,then my ignition decided to quit on the way to the staging lanes for first round!! ROY.

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

the Comet ran 10.70s at over 127 mph on 3 TTs,then my ignition decided to quit on the way to the staging lanes for first round!! ROY.

Roy
That sounds like my luck.LOL I made the third round only to have my battery get to low to start the Comet in the staging lanes one night.
I disconected the drive shaft from the rear end yoke and there is a small amount of play in the drive shaft side of the U-joint, I might get lucky

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Well I took the drive shaft in today and the trans yoke splines are twisted . The drive shaft is to short and the yoke doesn't slide on the trans shaft far enough. I'm having a new drive shaft made forged billet trans and rear end yokes, big 64 427 Galaxie style u-joints and thick wall tube for the shaft. Then its back to woopin Chevies! LOL
Attachments
g56+me.JPG
g56+me.JPG (35.17 KiB) Viewed 3462 times

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Judd;it never fails,you strengthen one area then something on down the line needs to be beefed up!! GOOD LUCK!! Get that sucker in the 11s!!!! ROY.

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Roy
I should be good for 1000HP by the time I'm done! LOL
CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Judd;it never fails,you strengthen one area then something on down the line needs to be beefed up!! GOOD LUCK!! Get that sucker in the 11s!!!! ROY.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Judd;1000HP,YEE HAW!!!! That would make the old COMET get with it!!!! What would that take,about a 600HP shot of giggle juice?!!!! ROY.

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

More like 700hp shot. LOL

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Judd;1000HP,YEE HAW!!!! That would make the old COMET get with it!!!! What would that take,about a 600HP shot of giggle juice?!!!! ROY.

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Wellll I went to the nastalgia drags in Gulfport, MS today with my new cam, clutch, and scatershield made the first pass and missed third gear, made the second pass and missed third again then realized I didn't have a third gear any more. I had a buddy filming so I made several first and second only passes in an attempt to get wheely on film before I remembered I had 25 lbs in the slicks. I lowered the pressure to 12 lbs and he got a wheely launch on film then first gear blew on the second run. I think I found the limit of a 6 cyl t5's strength! LOL. On the bright side one of the racers I hang with at the track has a Cobra Mustang T5 for $200. Everybody said the new cam made the Comet look much stromger maybe I'll keep it together long enough to find out for a fact soon. LOL.