parachute

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
fryedaddy

parachute

Post by fryedaddy »

i won a free parachute on a engine website.i thought i might put it on my comet.my son gets on me for doing things to make it run better but he said i never do anything safety to it.i even found an old ad advertising simpson streetcar parachutes and the car in the ad was a 66 comet with a chute on the back of it.looks cool.my car wont do 150 in the quarter but with the bb nitrous its fast enough for me.i would not have bought one but since it was free im going to put it on my car.
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: parachute

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Go for it, worst case it will be a conversation starter.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

I’d say worst casing it would be premature opening, or accidental deployment. If you use it, make sure you know how to pack it. Wouldn’t want to need it and it does a cigarette or some say cigar roll, instead of full deployment.
Like Boss said, good conversation piece though😁
Motor Safe,
Lee

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i have already packed it several times and watched videos on the do's and donts.i have a safety pin i can put in it till im getting ready so i dont deploy it on accident.everyone says to put it in a box and keep it aired out when not in use,to keep it working good or else leaving it packed for a long time will make it stick together and not work properly.i enjoy reading up on stuff before trying.thanks guys.with drum brakes on a short slow down area,it could save my car or my life.plus your right,its something to talk about.i just got lucky when i won it.
fryedaddy

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I think it'll be badass on there! :D
Johno

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Fryedaddy, don’t know if you’ve seen this article, but I found it very informative. https://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/ ... te-qa.html

Moisture is one of your worst enemies with a chute, keep it dry. I was checking out some YouTube videos on repacking, looks real easy, nothing like the military chutes for sure. Was curious, what kind of times and speed are or were you getting at the track?
Motor Safe,
Lee

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i have not tried the nitrous at the track yet,but the car will do 96-98 in the 1/8 with no nitrous on. i have not ran the 1/4 yet with this combo but i plan to this summer.thanks for the info,thats why i said to store it in a box or milk crate to keep it dry and aired out.i saw that video and article along with nearly every video on packing,mounting,storing and when to pull the chute on youtnbe.that article tells you everything you need to know.they are mandatory at 150mph but recommended at 135. at 135 in the quarter it could come in handy if something was going wrong.i should have it installed this weekend.i will get my son to post a pic when i get finished.
fryedaddy

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

That sounds pretty quick. Last time I ran at a strip it was in the early 70s, Manassas (sp?) VA. Had a 66 Chevelle SS, LS6 with the M22 rock crusher, 4:88s and a straight axle. Crazy, I remember my times but not my speed. It was an eighth mile strip, I drove it there, put on my slicks, uncapped the headers and had fun. Ran consistently in the low 7s. I also used the car at my job, I carried mail in Arlington. Wow, remember the days….
Motor Safe,
Lee

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

that sounds like a lot of fun to me.i like going to the grocery store regularly in mine.you had to be running in the 90+ mph to hit low 7s in the 1/8
fryedaddy

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

well, i dd not get finished with my parachute this weekend.i welded a bracket-removable,in my trunk so i can take it off and on anytime.all i like is drilling a couple holes to mount the release handle and i need to drill a hole in the bracket and put a big bolt through it to take it off and on.
fryedaddy

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

If you can, post some pics of the installed and when finished. That’s good you’re going to have it setup for quick removal.
Motor Safe,
Lee

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i finished up today.i got it all drilled and mounted.im happy with the way it turned out.i cant wait to give it a try.now if i can just get my son to take some pics and post them for me
fryedaddy

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i finished up putting bushings in clutch pedal-linkage and z bar today.i need to put my drivers seat back in and i hope im ready to go for the first time in 9 months.
fryedaddy

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Better than pictures-

Get your son to ride with you and video that chute drop @ 6K in high gear.
Be cool to see what happens :D

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Joe Travers wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:42 pm
Better than pictures-

Get your son to ride with you and video that chute drop @ 6K in high gear.
Be cool to see what happens :D

Joe
Better than that ,,,, Both! :)
Johno