64 Comet A/FX Clone - Front Suspension help!!!

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
garykansascity

64 Comet A/FX Clone - Front Suspension help!!!

Post by garykansascity »

I'm building a 64 Comet A/FX Clone and need to lift my car. Just like they did in the 60's. approx 3-4 inches of lift. On the front suspension they use to make a spacer that went between the Upper Control Arm and the Ball Joint. This allowed you to use taller coil springs, yet keep the front end alignment streetable. Does anyone have any idea where I can get these components that will help me lift my front end?

The rear suspension will be simple. Taller Shackles, Coil over shocks and I located an original A/FX Ladder Bar Kit. Keeping the leaf springs, just like the original A/FX Cars did.

Also, anyone know where I can locate parts for the A/FX style air induction system. They removed the two inner head lights and ran air ducts from the headlight brackets to the air intake.

Any help / guidence would be greatly appreciated.

Gary Becker / gbecker1@kc.rr.com / Kansas City

KULTULZ

Post by KULTULZ »

They removed the two inner head lights and ran air ducts from the headlight brackets to the air intake.
On the below page are some reference photos;

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/trombinoscar/me ... o6409.html

(I am not sure of the shot of the air bonnet)

I know the spacers you are describing. I am trying to find them.

-CRITES RESTORATIONS- may have the information on the air induction if you call them.

Am Looking For Factory/Aftermarket Speed Parts For The MEL (Merc-Edsel-Linc-TBird) Engine Family (383-410-430-462) Produced From 1958 To 1968

Also Early FORD Special Service Tools

-MEL ENGINE FORUM-

70snake

Post by 70snake »

Hey gary, I have an NOS set of the spacers for the front of a 61-65 Comet. Unfortunately , I too will need them for my '65. I bought them off of ebay about a year ago. If you absolutely cant find any, let me know and I'll talk to the R&D shop at work and see if they would machine another set from mine. Snake. (gnord@new.rr.com)
62 Econoline pickup (428 mid engine)
65 Comet A/FX clone
06 Mustang GT(that thinks its a '69 mach)
and a collection of FE "junk"

KULTULZ

Post by KULTULZ »

Thanks for the offer Snake...

I had the spacers bookmarked at one time but the page disappeared. I think it was TOTAL PERFORMANCE that was offering them, but I cannot find the spacers on their webpage either.

Is there any chance of your taking a digital picture of your spacers so that it might be possible to have them made?

These things were common years ago but I guess they are obsolete in today's market.
MEL DIVISION- MERC - EDSEL- LINC

70snake

Post by 70snake »

ATTENTION! if anyone is interested in the front lift kits for a Ford/Merc, there is a set on ebay right now. # 4568711241. These are similar to my Cal Custom set, and should give you 2-3 inches of front lift. :D
62 Econoline pickup (428 mid engine)
65 Comet A/FX clone
06 Mustang GT(that thinks its a '69 mach)
and a collection of FE "junk"

TomP

Post by TomP »

The factory cars weren't using ball joint spacers, tall front tires and special longer spindles were the way. You need to watch that you don't exceed the maximum angle on any tie rod end or balljoint.

Neat link to that Trombino AFX, that's what i'm building but i'm sure i'll have a website in English if i do one. :)