Crites A/fx FE engine/ shocktower kit

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
70snake

Crites A/fx FE engine/ shocktower kit

Post by 70snake »

OK I just installed a Crites engine bay kit so I can finally put an FE in my '65 comet. I have an FE core motor dangling over the engine compartment for fitting, but when I lower it over the frame mounts (Crites uses an engine mount with a single stud/bolt for mounting to it's frame brackets, which sit on the new lower A arm pads) I can't get this thing to line up worth a crap. :cry: The holes in the frame mounts are offset, so they can only go on one way; which leaves me wondering why this motor doesnt just drop in? :evil: Has Anyone done one of these swaps and has some pictures to share?
Also looking for an Edelbrock crossram XF-66 for an FE. Will pay decent money.
62 Econoline pickup (428 mid engine)
65 Comet A/FX clone
06 Mustang GT(that thinks its a '69 mach)
and a collection of FE "junk"

70snake

Crites kit

Post by 70snake »

O.K. I must have had too much spiked eggnog :shock: , because after taking a day off from working on the car, I went back and noticed that the left engine mount (marked "left") was actually for the right side, and vice/versa........ Problem solved. I think thats how you know you've been in the garage too long, is when simple stuff totally baffles you. :D LOL.
65 Comet A/FX clone

rditz

Post by rditz »

i did the same thing only with plug wires... I had thought that I had gone over them and had them in the right order only to find last night that 6 and 7 were reversed... not sure how, but they were....

have a good one.

rod

Mr.Fancypants

Post by Mr.Fancypants »

Is there any chance you have pics of the parts/installation/final product. I am very interested in doing the same with my '65.

70snake

Crites kit pics

Post by 70snake »

I can email you pics 8) , just PM me with an email address. Snake.
65 Comet A/FX clone

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Hey 70snake. Whats up with your weather. :? I have been wanting to snowmobile but no snow. I am heading up in 2 weeks if I have to ride in mud. By the way I would love to see those pictures also if you get a chance to send a few my way.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Mr.Fancypants

Post by Mr.Fancypants »

Great pictures, thank you very much. That thing will go like a bat out of hades.

bigmikes64comet

Post by bigmikes64comet »

I too are interested in pics. I have a 390 that I want to put into a 64 comet. Just want to see how yours looks.

BigMike
why can't we all just get along?

Jim Clayton

Crites FE Shock towers

Post by Jim Clayton »

Hey Snake , You can't possibly put an FE in the 65 and not share the pictures with everybody. I think everybody in Comet Land would love to see them. Please consider posting in the photo section so all the Comet Guy's can drool over them JC
Ford Powered Nostalgic Stockcars 66 Cyclone 631/2 Galaxie 71 Mustang Mach 1

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I just got 70snakes pict loaded in the Gallery have to go all the way to page 4 to see it.

Might look in the '66 section and see a man powered stockcar too :?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

Nice fit. With the towers cut do the upper control arms stay in the same postion?
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4

70snake

Upper control arms

Post by 70snake »

Yes, the uppers stay where the factory put them, and the lowers get the new mounts supplied in the kit. Snake.
65 Comet A/FX clone

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

Thanks for the info, did you use the stock lower control arms and how much did they move from the original position.
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4

bigmikes64comet

Post by bigmikes64comet »

70snake,
Thank You for the pictures! I'm doing all my homework before I start with my big block install.

Mike
why can't we all just get along?

70snake

control arms

Post by 70snake »

Tweaked.... yes I used stock lower control arms, i also have Granada discs on it. Anyone who has a 6cyl car like mine should be aware that you must fab up longer tie rod adjuster sleeves, if you have a v8 car, the ones from Crites kit will work fine. It appears that the control arm position moves out diagonally about an inch. I was initially quite worried about being able to align the front end, so after assembly of the kit, I dropped the 428 in, added 100lbs to the front bumper brackets, and another 100 to the floor pans(to simulate the trans) and took it to get aligned. Surprisingly the pass. side was only 3/32 out. The drivers side was closer to 7/16, but we were able to align it to spec. I may play with it a bit once i drive it and see what kind of high speed "manners" it has.
65 Comet A/FX clone