Another rear end question

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
cparker136

Another rear end question

Post by cparker136 »

Hey guys - I see that there was a rear end question not too long ago but I don't really want to hijack that thread so I thought I would start a new one.

I am going to look at an 8.8 rear end after work from a 1991 Ford Ranger. In looking at the specs, it should be 56.5" wide. My 1963 Comet has some dinky rear end in it that should be 56" wide. I am in the process of dismantling my car and was thinking about doing a mini-tub so I can run a wider rear wheel. My thought is to do the one side 8.8 narrow job on this Ranger rear end which should make it 53-5/8" wide.

Anyways, my question is, since the 8.8 rear end has an offset pinion, is the above plan even possible? Does the pinion have to be in line with the transmission output shaft or is it ok to run it at an angle? I'm not really sure what that angle would be yet or if the pumpkin would even fit under the car. Any experiences or knowledge you have to share would be much appreciated! Thanks.

power band

Re: Another rear end question

Post by power band »

The Ranger 8.8 swap has been done and will be good for your project posts' to see it done. BUT, hope you also are considering a Ford 8" rear. Compatible Ford 9" rear is rare and /or expensive but an 8" will take care of most performance needs out to @ 400 HP. The advantage is there are still quite a few around that can Bolt-into Mustangs/Comets/Falcons that can be sourced from 60's V8 Mustangs, and 70's Maverick/Comets.

The Maverick 5 lug rear is @ 1/2" wider on each side but with some minor mods can fit fenders easily.

'61 with 'Maverick 8" 3.80 Posi, homemade Carltrac traction devices.

Image . Image

cparker136

Post by cparker136 »

Hey thanks for the reply. I passed on the ranger rear since it was both open and had a 3.08 gear set. I don’t have a problem with the 8” but they are more difficult to find around here. Plus I figured it would be easier to narrow the 8.8 since I could use a an OE axle shaft. Either way, I’m still on the lookout but I appreciate knowing that it will be useable if I run into either of them.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I do an 8.8 aat home anrrow job in my build thread. if you have 2 thumbs and are fairly handy it is not too tough, I built a coiple of jigs to help keep it in alignment, not completely necessary but I felt better about it. doing the single side narrowing it recenters the pumpkin the reason you might need that is with it offset ( while it wont hurt anythig you might have the driveshft rub on the driveline tunnel. I agree the 8" swap from a Maverick is an easier swap and bolts right in. I wanted the 3.73 gear ratio and traclock, plus rear discs and 5 bolt wheels so it made the most sense economically to do the 8.8 narrow for me, I had an 8" for a 6cyl in there (4 bolt wheels) and it was direct bolt in for that tiny 7.25? rear
SeeYa,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

kurtscomet

Post by kurtscomet »

I just finished swapping out a 4 lug rear with an 8in. 5 lug rear from a 65 mustang in my 63 comet ....was a complete bolt in with no alterations...the only thing I had to change was the u joint... had to get a u joint with a 1 in. and a 1 1/8 cup to adapt to the mustang rear.....perches lined up perfect.....rear was only 1/2 wider

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

It appears there are several combos that will work.
What are you gonna run for wheel/tire combo?
I think you need to work backwards, that is
DECIDE ON WHEEL/COMBO FIRST!!!!!!!
That will tell you weather you need to minitub the car, how narrow the rear has to be and if the springes need to be moved.
That will help narrow down your rearend choices.
Now do those choices have gears available, axles?
Power? Manual or auto?
When you get silly and put a turbo on the car do you have to redo the driveline,,, again?
I suggest a big bearing 9", have cut and welded by a pro when width is established. At that point axles, gears, limited slip, are sll available in a variety of quality levels go fit your needs.
SELECT WHEEL/TIRE COMBO FIRST!
FRED
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

kurtscomet wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:31 pm
I just finished swapping out a 4 lug rear with an 8in. 5 lug rear from a 65 mustang in my 63 comet ....was a complete bolt in with no alterations...the only thing I had to change was the u joint... had to get a u joint with a 1 in. and a 1 1/8 cup to adapt to the mustang rear.....perches lined up perfect.....rear was only 1/2 wider
I'm running stock '63 8" axle housing with maximum wheel backspace of 4.25". The widest tire that will fit is 8" tread.
The extra 1/2" you're dealing with is going to narrow you up even more without some type of modification.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Sassy is exactly right. Get your tub work done and the tires and wheels you want first. Guessing on the axle width usually ends up resulting in wheel back spacing on the wheel you want is not available or....it looks like it will work but you can't get the tire under the car. Might end up being more money but the correct axle width for your situation will eliminate a lot of heartache and you ending up with a tire-wheel combo you're not really happy with.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Certainly doing the 8.8 single side narrow centers the pumpkin on the axle but really it is what the end goal is and how much you can or are willing to do,do you have the equipment and at least rudementry skills to do an at home axle narrow I have none of that but did it anyway, time will tell how I did :x :x :roll: if I was doing another it would be better the second time of course. With experience, I documented the way in my build thread if you find it it gives a pretty good overall what has to be done, again I chose the 8.8 for several reasons, the gear set I wanted, the track lock I wanted and disc brakes I wanted all made sense it was right for me and my build, all that cost me was around $150 including the cost of the rear and some time that I had plus I got to learn something and increase my skill set. It was a fun project
Project and once I got past initial chopping jittersI enjoyed myself,making something that was intended for something else fit my project like it was made for it, it leaves double black marks leaving the shed at least :shock: :P :lol: 8” V8 swap from a Maverick is probably the easiest if you don’t want the extras like I did.
See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

cparker136

Post by cparker136 »

Thanks again for all the replies. I'm still in tear down mode so I'm still not sure what I am going to do. These old car parts are hard to find here in Chevy country so I'm kina at the mercy at what I find and can afford. The big local swap meet is next week so maybe I'll find something that works.