Spinning Stud on Front Shock Brace

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
FuzzyDriver

Spinning Stud on Front Shock Brace

Post by FuzzyDriver »

Changing front shocks. Got all six shock brace nuts off except ONE. The stud spins. I was using a wrench (not an impact driver). Soaking with PB Blaster for now, but what good that will do I don't know. Anyone else have this bite them? Any tips to keep that stud from turning? Prying up on it didn't work.

There isn't room above the nut for the locking-two-nut-trick.

Once I do get it off, how do I get that corner of the brace bolted back down?
OK...so she might need a little work.Image

Joe Travers

Re: Spinning Stud on Front Shock Brace

Post by Joe Travers »

Someone cross threaded one nut on my shocks, last change before I bought it. :?
Took a pair of vice grips, holding chisel. Pop it off w/ a big hammer but be very careful not to nick the tower.
Took me about 15-20 minutes, being careful, taking my time.
Replace all 6 stock bolts to carriage bolts so they fit snugger and don't spin. Shoulders fit tighter than reman replacements.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I had 3-4 of them do that. I can recall how I did it for sure but I think I used a cut off wheel &/or a grinder. But I do recall the aggravation :roll: . I put all new bolts back in.
Johno

FuzzyDriver

Post by FuzzyDriver »

Joe Travers: Did you have to pull the coil spring out to get carriage bolts in?

PoBoy: That many? And I thought it was rough that I have one that spins. :shock: I'm thinking of cutting a slot in the stud and trying to hold it from turning with a big screwdriver. I hope I can figure out a way to get it off and back on without having to pull the coil.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

FuzzyDriver wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:07 pm
Joe Travers: Did you have to pull the coil spring out to get carriage bolts in?
Nope. Pry on top of spring w/ big flat-blade screwdriver to pop 'em in.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

FuzzyDriver

Post by FuzzyDriver »

I GOT IT OFF! :D After all that PB Blaster and time eating supper (wife made really good cheeseburgers :D ), I pried up on the brace REALLY hard and the nut started turning on the stud. Now I see the slots where the stud heads slip in, obviating the need to remove the coil spring. The edges of the slot are warped some, making the slot wider. I think that is why the stud was able to turn in the slot. Maybe I can flatten the surface of the shock tower out in the area so the stud won't turn in the slot.

Looking over the top of the shock tower gives me another question. The other two studs are held in place with black RTV (to keep them from coming out of the slot, I suppose). Is this from factory? It seems really strange to see black RTV there. :?

FuzzyDriver

Post by FuzzyDriver »

Thanks a ton for all your very quick help, especially considering the holiday! My shock replacement work is complete. I followed Joe's idea of using a regular carriage bolt. The only thing now is one of the three shock brace fasteners is 5/16 Coarse instead of 5/16 Fine. Hey, middle of the night you use what you got on hand, eh?

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

cool ! Yea I had several of them spin. I think maybe on 1 or 2 of them I may have jabbed a screw driver in there to help hold it's head Joe that does sound familiar, but some were more stubborn or I didnt have room to get at them.

Sometimes when a bolt is spinning like that you can take a hammer & swiftly hit the wrench a few times, kinda acts like an impact gun in slow motion. suckerpunch that rascal before it knows whats going on . :lol:
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Found the carriage bolt has tighter fit w/ slightly larger shoulders.
Also slightly taller head. They won't spin on you. Coil spring puts tension on them.
No guarantees on the insulator. I figured it would last longer than me, IDK.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Rootsy

Post by Rootsy »

I am using SS carriage bolts for my shock tower brace / shock mounts. They fit the slots tightly. The originals I have from my car are the same but shorter.

You can install them after the spring is in place with the upper isolator. Use a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer to drive them into the slot and pinching the head between shock tower and isolator which will lock them in place.
1964 Cyclone - 2 Dr / HT - A work in progress...