T5 questions

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
anoNY42

T5 questions

Post by anoNY42 »

I am curious if any T5 aficionados can help me with a question. I have a T5 that the prior owner stated came from "Summit". It was installed by the owner prior to him, so he is just stating what he was told. It does look nice and new on the outside.

I am wondering if there is any way I can identify who made it or remanned it. I would like to know the gear ratios.

Also, I am preparing to change the fluid in the T5 as a first step to curing my whining issue (forum topic on that one: http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... 13&t=13532). Does every T5 use the same ATF, DexMerc III? Or are some different in that regard too?

Thanks in advance!

lavron
Site Admin

Re: T5 questions

Post by lavron »

anoNY42 wrote:Does every T5 use the same ATF, DexMerc III? Or are some different in that regard too?
I don't have a T-5 yet but from what I read it really doesn't matter on the world class T-5s just use ATF like Dextron3 many like the synthetic. Non-World Class use 70 weight gear oil (I have seen some say 50 weight as well)

I would guess there is a tag on the transmission somewhere with a number, this site has a list of tag numbers http://www.britishv8.org/articles/borg- ... d-tags.htm

Hope that helps

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

A T5 from Sumnit would most likely be a T5z...yup, ATF...
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

anoNY42

Post by anoNY42 »

Alright, tag says its a T5z, so now I know my gear ratios. Also, I opened up the fill plug and a bunch of ATF came out, so that looks good (now it has the correct fluid level too). Prior owner must have filled it through the shifter.

65clevorcyclone

Post by 65clevorcyclone »

A t5z is a cobra spec, or at least it should be, with a 2.95 first gear.