Lubrication Thread

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
lavron
Site Admin

Lubrication Thread

Post by lavron »

I thought I would start a thread on lubricants, there are so many different ones to choose from so I thought this would be a good place to recommend your favorites and why.

The real reason to start this is I will soon be in need of some, so, I will ask a few questions to start.

Looking at rear lube for the 8.8, Ford recommends 75W140 Synthetic, would like something good for Limited Slip rear, some come with the friction modifier (or whatever they call it) already added.

Some I have seen recommended are Royal Purple, Amsol and Mobil 1. Amazon has MotorCraft, Redline and I am sure several more, all seem to be around the same price of approx. $20 per quart range.

Also looking for ATF for the WC T5, Dextron III is the recommended ATF so it would be a brand thing, any picks?

Not too the point to need engine oil but in all my new cars I use MotorCraft oil, I used to put Castrol and sometimes Pennzoil in my Comet, what does everyone else use?

I guess finally, at least for me, is chassis grease, what is everyone using?

Add to this for different Transmissions and Rears you are using for everyone to reference, those above are what interests me.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Rocket989

Re: Lubrication Thread

Post by Rocket989 »

I use the recommended conventional (non-synthetic) gear oil in the rear along with Ford branded limited slip additive.

Oil is Motorcraft semi-synthetic @ recommended weight in new stuff and usually Wal-Mart branded full synthetic (of correct weight) in the old stuff.

For T5's - Mercon V ...best I can tell III replaced II and so on up to the current. I don't see any reason to spend the $$ on anything else.

For chassis grease - any decent lithium-moly unless the parts call specifically for straight lithium.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

tomb22

Re: Lubrication Thread

Post by tomb22 »

I found on line that most people recommend synthetic gear oil for a 8.8 with limited slip and no additive. So I'm using Valvoline.
For my engine oil I always use regular Valvoline oil and after tearing them down I have found them to be very clean inside.
I tried Royal Purple ATF in my T5 thinking it might shift smoother, but It shifted the same as when I used Citgo.
As far as chassis goes I have always used white lithium
tomb's 65