Leaking Control Valve

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
platinummaker

Leaking Control Valve

Post by platinummaker »

Having to go to the well again. So great being able to tap into the all the accumulated knowledge on this forum. Soon I hope I can start making more deposits than withdrawals.
The V8 '64 Caliente has developed a major leak in the control valve. I know there are seal kits available to rebuild the control valve, but I was wanting to explore any other options. I am assuming this is the same control valve that is on 65 Mustangs as well. It seems the only rebuilt ones I have found include the centerlink. I don't want/need a new centerlink, and I believe a 65 center link, (please correct me guys), has different dimensions than a 64 which would need changing out tie rods. My local O'reillys has a control valve and centerlink for a 65 Mustang for about $275. I believe the control valve just screws on the center link so why couldn't I get that and screw it on my existing center link? Am I way off on this guys?
Help Mr. Wizard!
Thanks!

comethead

Re: Leaking Control Valve

Post by comethead »

Where is the leak coming from on the valve? The Stangersite rebuild kit includes the press-in hose flares that set in the valve body. If the old ones are scored and worn the line will leak. Otherwise a standard rebuild kit should fix the leak, unless the valve body is cracked.
I think you could use the 65-66 Mustang valve body. The only difference it might have is the hose connection size but I'm not sure. Seems like the last and most expensive option though...and youd have to get rid of the mustang centerlink.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Groover

Post by Groover »

The cheapest way by far would be to rebuild. It isn't that hard and Stangersite has the instructions with the kit (maybe even on the site). I think you can buy rebuilt units and that would be the next cheapest. Unless you're wanting to make some other changes like go to the entire '65 steering setup.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

It's a simple rebuild, just buy the kit.

SW
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Order a rebuild kit. Stangerssite or NPD are good sources for kits. Or order a complete control valve then swap the internal parts and return for the core charge. Just make sure to order one with the 1/4" pressure port. Later ones had a 5/16" pressure port. Should fit early comets and falcons.
Here's one that should work.
https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/ ... 168-1.html

If you have a problem with leaks order the copper cone washers from Royal Brass in San Jose. They cure problem leaks.
Ron

platinummaker

Post by platinummaker »

Thanks guys! Ron would you mind if I sent you a pm about your electronic assist steering?

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

platinummaker wrote:Thanks guys! Ron would you mind if I sent you a pm about your electronic assist steering?
Hey neighbor, have I talked to you on another forum with a different user name? PM me if you like, will be be glad to discuss the eps with you.
Ron