Upgrade your steering ( 65 V8 steering)

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
SASSY

Re: Upgrade your steering ( 65 V8 steering)

Post by SASSY »

I've searched through some stuff and can't find it.
I'm looking for an article or link to an article on building
a roller bearing 65 V8 idler arm. I was sure there is one in here somewhere, anyone have an idea?
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Here is a kit from opentracker;
https://opentrackerracing.com/product/r ... 1965-1966/
I also edited in a link to it on page one .
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Thank you Sir!
So now, do I hack together my own? Or, save up the 200 plus dollars Cdn and "click, open a beer, wait, install" as Comethead Joe would say.
I need an old one to tear apart, think that will be my first goal.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Wandering around the net looking at bearings found this pic.
Wouldn't this one work cool in an idler arm if the right size was available? More searching required.
Fred
ImageI feel like such a cheater for going M2 :lol: But don’t worry about me I will be ok Sometimes I need a tried and true cheaper, readily available parts, I think I built enough stuff on my car to qualify for one “easy one, if you consider cutting the whole front suspension out of your car and replacing it with something totally different easy, I guess I did and cheaper than doing the ‘65 upgrade with quality new upgraded componets and I am happy so far with the results, and cost by rolling my own M2 installWelder Series out of Canada is your friend if you can at least half way weld and don’t mind tipping your car over somehow to get good safe welds and not skimp hoping it is good enough,I know mine is welded in good and I have confidence in my work.I am ready to carve some corners and have a good time doing it :lol:My M2 install hub to hub was under$500 BTW.all brand new parts. The only thing I may do is pull my lower control arms off sometime and weld my sway bar mounts to arms I just have them bolted on now and think that is a weak point.
should be an easy enough job

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Probably would. I've never seen one like that.
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Down loaded the pdf of the Koyo catalogue and found a couple pages of these bearings so gonna take some measurements off my idler and see how close I can get.
Fred

61 merc

Post by 61 merc »

This was helpful.

daves63merc

Post by daves63merc »

Hey, I'm interested in assembling parts to swap my 63.5 Comet V8 with manual steering to the later steering setup, but I'm confused on a couple things:

Do I have to replace my factory steering box (1 1/8" shaft) if I use the late 67 mustang pitman arm, along with the rest of the steering gear mentioned? In the article, the author goes into removing the steering column, etc. I was hoping to avoid that, and just bolt the later 67 pitman onto my steering box and then bolt the rest of the setup on. Is that possible?
1963.5 Comet Hardtop, 260 V8, 4 Speed
1957 Chevrolet 3200, 235 I6, 3 Speed
2002 Ford F-250, 7.3L Diesel
1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 21 speed
1979 Fender Telecaster

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Keep ypur factory box add the 67 arm.
Thats what I did on my 64 which also has 1.125 sector.
You can also stay with the 63.5 V8 spindles but 65s are better.
The outter tierod end is different from 63.5 V8 to 65 V8.
Post your questions in detail, lots of info here from several different installs.
Fred

daves63merc

Post by daves63merc »

Excellent, thanks Fred.

Those 65 spindles should be from a V8 model mustang/Comet/Falcon, right? And if I'm hoping to replace everything with new parts, the outer tie rod ends and sleeves should be original 63.5 Comet stuff, right?
1979 Fender Telecaster

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

SASSY wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:32 pm
I've searched through some stuff and can't find it.
I'm looking for an article or link to an article on building
a roller bearing 65 V8 idler arm. I was sure there is one in here somewhere, anyone have an idea?
Fred
Is it a sticky under the suspension section? Maybe hard to find but I talk about some in my build thread with links to some of the parts mostly th specific drag link at a reasonable cost, I will see what I can find and come back and edit this post if I find it.might be here viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15083[url][url][url][/url]
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

daves63merc wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:51 am
Excellent, thanks Fred.

Those 65 spindles should be from a V8 model mustang/Comet/Falcon, right? And if I'm hoping to replace everything with new parts, the outer tie rod ends and sleeves should be original 63.5 Comet stuff, right?
Yes 65 V8 spindles.
Sleeves interchange same on both generations.
Outter tierods are different. Use 63.5/64 tierods with same year spindle OR 65 tierods with 65 spindles. Early outter tierods are very expensive compared to the 65s plus moving to 65 spindle has better grometery. Also same as Mustang so will be around a long time.
Fred

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

If you are looking into 65 spindles there are several options to consider.
Someone else will have to step in because Im not totally knowable here but, lowered spindles, spindles built for different brake assembles, also I understand bearing requirements.
Im very happy with the Kelsey Hayes style GT350 Mustang brakes. Fit in a 14" wheel and parts availability.
Fred

daves63merc

Post by daves63merc »

SASSY wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:34 am
If you are looking into 65 spindles there are several options to consider.
Someone else will have to step in because Im not totally knowable here but, lowered spindles, spindles built for different brake assembles, also I understand bearing requirements.
Im very happy with the Kelsey Hayes style GT350 Mustang brakes. Fit in a 14" wheel and parts availability.
Fred
Are there any disc brake conversions that make use of those 1965 V8 spindles? I'll eventually swap discs in up front, but had hoped to put that upgrade off to take care of more urgent stuff, like the worn out pitman and rod ends and some engine issues...

...or should I just get used to the idea of doing a disc swap now so I only have to buy one set of spindles?

Thanks again. Your key info is getting my ride back on the road...
1979 Fender Telecaster

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

daves63merc wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:37 am
Are there any disc brake conversions that make use of those 1965 V8 spindles? I'll eventually swap discs in up front, but had hoped to put that upgrade off to take care of more urgent stuff, like the worn out pitman and rod ends and some engine issues...
My car is equipped with Mustang II rack and pinion setup. Factory front discs weren't common until '69. The K-H for Shelby Mustang Fred mentions is the only I know of that was produced in '65. There are a wide variety of kits available but most aren't budget conscious. Hang tight, plenty of conversion stories here. Pick the one you like most.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi