64 V8 Engine/trans removal issues/questions.

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
modelafish

Re: 64 V8 Engine/trans removal issues/questions.

Post by modelafish »

[/img]
SASSY wrote:I cut the brace as Johnno planned and have a 1 inch square tube running across the back of the brace bolted in. Been there since I did the 351C in ' 74.
Installing the trans in the car then the engine is a WAY had idea, imho.
Fred
I just hack sawed the piece out shown here.
Update: After finally finishing the new front suspension components and the disc brake conversion, I got the tires back on an down on the ground. Maybe I wasn't paying attention before, but it seemed like the front end was WAY higher than it used to be. Measuring just inside both bumpers, there was a 5" difference in the height of the car from front to rear. After finding no apparent cause, I took the top bracket off the shock absorbers and gained 1/2". That got me worried, so I ran down to H.D. and got the 1" square x 3 ft perforated tube, and it fit behind the bracket like a glove. I drilled and bolted in place to be ready, but didn't cut yet. That was a good thing, as I managed to get it out over the top, with the transmission attached. :)

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

So if you are or ever become a Comet history guy there is a fellow down around you that raced a BFX 65 Comet . It was called (is called cause it's still around) The Heavenly Comet and went through Hemmings a few years ago. There is a thread in the lounge about it but maybe miss titled as a 64.
Him and his buddy from way back still race, well build, son of one of them drives.
Fred
I went and found the thread, kinda force feeding I guess :D
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... f=1&t=7254
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

modelafish

Post by modelafish »

I've only been out to FIrebird a couple times since I moved to Idaho, and I would sure remember that one if it was there ! And, actually, history is kinda up my alley. I'm a volunteer and member of the Automotive History Preservation Society. ( ahpsoc.org ) It's a non-profit that, well, preserves history; so if anyone has done an article on the car/driver/builder, I can probably get it loaded to the site for all to see.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

They race Mopars now. Dennis in the black tee, his son driving, Vegas '09
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_IC0CZu2Kg
The comet went to Whitehorse Yukon Canada. The new owner posted here a couple times looking for info on the car.
Watch for a PM
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about