Remove power steering hose at control valve.

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
CometNewbie
Comet Central Member

Remove power steering hose at control valve.

Post by CometNewbie »

It's a 1964 404 model (inline 6). How in the world do you do it? Looks just like a metal brake line so I'm assuming a flare nut wrench but, I don't the geometry of how to get the wrench on there and be able to turn. Do I have to remove a ton of stuff to do it? We have a break in the rubber portion of the line and are trying to put new lines on the darn thing. Who knew keeping a 1964 on the road would be so difficult :-)
More specifically, we are trying to change the lines that go from the pump to the control valve. Unless there is a different way to fix it.

CometNewbie
Comet Central Member

Re: Remove power steering hose at control valve.

Post by CometNewbie »

Now my screen name makes sense and I'm a little embarrassed. Turns out, you have to turn the wheel to get more room. Ugh.

Groover

Post by Groover »

CometNewbie wrote:Now my screen name makes sense and I'm a little embarrassed. Turns out, you have to turn the wheel to get more room. Ugh.
That won't be the last time you have one of those moments. :oops: Remember this when you go to change out a tie rod. A screw jack can also help to re-arrange the geometry of steering links, etc (if you're not already up on a lift)
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

CometNewbie
Comet Central Member

Post by CometNewbie »

Another question from a newbie. Once I change out the lines, I'm assuming I need to bleed the system. Not sure exactly how to do that. Anyone out there want to clue me in?

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Pretty sure ya just add fluid and turn the wheel back and forth a couple times, done.
Fred
Welcome to the site,, how 'bout some pics of that 64!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Groover

Post by Groover »

most of them aren't really a "closed" system since the return pumps into the top of the reservoir and the the supply taps from the bottom of the reservoir. so yep, just turn the wheel a few times and any air comes to the top.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...