Failed on Front Alignment

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
lavron
Site Admin

Failed on Front Alignment

Post by lavron »

I was not too successful at doing the home alignment, now I am wondering if I messed up on doing the front end install but more than likely I haven't a clue on how to use the caster/camber gauge.

I think I am pretty much done trying and will just surrender and take and have it done, it shows I have negative camber I guess (top of tires too far out) but they really look like they are leaning in at the top to me and I have the T-bolts all the way in, it also shows I have negative caster.

Anyway I always intended to have it professionally aligned so I guess it is good enough for now :roll:

If I messed up the M2 install upper mount I think it could be fixed by making the slots slightly deeper but I can't go too far or it will be too far in and thin the slot too much on the end, of course, an extra bar could be welded across the inside edge if it needs it, before I do any of that however I think it would be better to have the alignment shop look at it.

On a positive note, I started the car again this afternoon after sitting 3 days and it fired right up :D

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Failed on Front Alignment

Post by A/FX »

lavron wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:05 pm
I was not too successful at doing the home alignment, now I am wondering if I messed up on doing the front end install but more than likely I haven't a clue on how to use the caster/camber gauge.

I think I am pretty much done trying and will just surrender and take and have it done, it shows I have negative camber I guess (top of tires too far out) but they really look like they are leaning in at the top to me and I have the T-bolts all the way in, it also shows I have negative caster.

Anyway I always intended to have it professionally aligned so I guess it is good enough for now :roll:

If I messed up the M2 install upper mount I think it could be fixed by making the slots slightly deeper but I can't go too far or it will be too far in and thin the slot too much on the end, of course, an extra bar could be welded across the inside edge if it needs it, before I do any of that however I think it would be better to have the alignment shop look at it.

On a positive note, I started the car again this afternoon after sitting 3 days and it fired right up :D

See Ya,
Mike
Mike,
“IF” you have to elongate the slots to gain more adjustment I would suggest you install a “tower” instead of using the slots. One of the issues with the stock Must. II style suspension was that the upper control arm could slip in the slot. With an upright tower you use shims to adjust and there is no chance of slippage. Your existing control arms will work by just spinning the shaft so the bolts are horizontal instead of vertical. It would be very easy for you to add the tower over the existing slots, just position the tower so that you have a couple of shims for initial setup and room to add or subtract as needed. I did this modification to a Heidts front end in my ‘33 Ford Victoria.
Jim

‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

lavron
Site Admin

Re: Failed on Front Alignment

Post by lavron »

A/FX wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:40 pm
“IF” you have to elongate the slots to gain more adjustment I would suggest you install a “tower” instead of using the slots.
That is funny Jim, I was thinking the same thing, of course, I was going to make my own towers, my upper mounts are a set of coilover mounts without the shock/coilover mounts added, they are just the arm brackets. (you can see it best on the right side of the photo below, I had not added the airbag bracket yet on that side)

I figured I could use a chunk of 1/4" angle iron with a couple of holes drilled in it for the arms and weld it on top of the current mount point, the only thing it would do is add 1/4" height (I could mount the arms down tight against the angle horizontal section) I already have the anti-dive setup in the current brackets, not sure if that would be enough added to affect the geometry?

I will let the professionals look at it first before I do anything in case I am just too dumb to figure out how to use the gauge :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058