61 Comet ball joint dust/grease boots replacement

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
61 Waycrosscomet

61 Comet ball joint dust/grease boots replacement

Post by 61 Waycrosscomet »

Is it possible or feasible to replace the ball joint dust boots? mine are shredded, will not hold grease. Is it better just to replace the ball joints /arms?
Car has 78K miles. upper ball joint bolted in so could be a replacement at some point, lower joint is still riveted in so probably original.
I don't see any clips or retaining rings so assuming boots are put in place during assembly process.
Not sure how to proceed. thanks.

Jims65cyclone

Re: 61 Comet ball joint dust/grease boots replacement

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Replace the joints. All four. It's only slightly more work to do that than just replace the boots, and if the boots are shredded, the joints probably are, too. The damaged boots have allowed dirt and water to get into the joints. The top joints have been replaced since they're bolted, but the damaged boots have compromised them. The lower joints are probably original and are probably worn out. Jack up the front end from under the rad support so the front wheels hang from the suspension. Place a pry bar under each front tire and move it up and down. You'll probably find you have a lot of slop in the upper and lower joints. While you're at, grab the tires at 3 and 9 o'clock and wiggle them back and forth and check for loose tie rod ends, idler arm and center link. You'll need to get it aligned after replacing anything, so you might as well replace all the worn parts at one time and get it aligned once.

By the way, Waycross doesn't happen to be as in Waycross, GA, does it?

Jim

61 Waycrosscomet

Thanks so much for you reply. Helps me greatly as this is my first restore job.
Yes, Waycross GA. My wife's aunt lives there and she gave us the car some years ago. Finally getting around to fixing it up.--john.m

61 Waycrosscomet

one more question, should I think about replacing the control arms as well or will I be ok with just the ball joints. I have one side off, they
look ok, maybe some rust, but otherwise ok.
Thanks.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Depends on the condition of the control arm shaft bushings. My opinion is they are almost certainly original to the car. Between wear and the rubber probably being petrified, I'd say the bushings need replacing. Again, it's a matter of doing just a little extra work and spending a little more money while you have it torn down and make sure you have everything in good shape vs. tearing it down again in a year because your tires are wearing due to parts you didn't replace the first time. Ball joints and bushings would probably run around $50 for each side. Or, you could buy a replacement control arm with the control arm shaft and ball joint installed for $75 to $100.

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:13 pm
Depends on the condition of the control arm shaft bushings. My opinion is they are almost certainly original to the car. Between wear and the rubber probably being petrified, I'd say the bushings need replacing. Again, it's a matter of doing just a little extra work and spending a little more money while you have it torn down and make sure you have everything in good shape vs. tearing it down again in a year because your tires are wearing due to parts you didn't replace the first time. Ball joints and bushings would probably run around $50 for each side. Or, you could buy a replacement control arm with the control arm shaft and ball joint installed for $75 to $100.

Jim
Jim are the early control arms available? I think one of them ,,,,upper one I think is slightly different than 63-65? :?
Johno

61 Waycrosscomet

surprisingly yes, control arms, upper and lower are available for the 61 Comet. I found an upper control arm that has everything included for 113.00,
from B.A.P. and there are many sites selling lowers for around 70 bucks or so.
I think I am just going to replace the upper ball joint and upper bushings and o-rings, the original bushings do not have the grease zerks that the after markets have. everything else on the upper arm looks pretty good.
I will replace the whole lower arm as that is most economical and time saving. I would have to drill out the rivets of the old lower ball joint, plus
replace the bushing. Buying new, I get all that ready to go. What a learning experience so far!!---john.m

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Maybe it is some of the steering parts that are not available . that is why most guys who redo the whole frontend convert to 65 v8 parts. for better parts availability & to make it drive better. of course some want 5 lug spindles for better wheel options & better disc brake options. but that also would need an 8'' rear or 8.8 to get the 5 lug on back, so it's not a walk in the park. but since all the parts but the center link are same as a mustang they will always be cheaper & easier to find.
Johno