Rear end locked up

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
mercuryman

Rear end locked up

Post by mercuryman »

Hey guys, go ahead here and let me have it... I’m a grown man and can take... long story short.. just had my rear end rebuilt on my 65 cyclone . Took it for a short drive and it seized up at about 70mph. That was fun!!!! The place I took it to is a local shop in my area... Good guys, very reputable.. Got it home with the help of a neighbor and checked for gear oil... Nothing.. No Gear oil.. Now I realize I screwed up BIG TIME and should have checked the oil, but I assumed they filled it when they rebuilt it... Wrong assumption?? Do shops normally leave them dry?? Seems they could have at least reminded me that it needs to be filled. But I know it’s mostly my fault... Has anybody had experiences like this?

Joe Travers

Re: Rear end locked up

Post by Joe Travers »

Same thing happened to my brother back in the 70's.
Took in his F-100 for a tranny swap and the mechanic forgot to put lube in the new one.
It blew up on the way home.

Talk to them about this and try to get something worked out. If they really are good guys, they'll make it right.
Everyone makes mistakes but you were footing the bill. The burden is on them to do a good job.

Peace out

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

everyone knows OL POP says just what is on his mind at the moment......falls back to HUA....head up ass....anybody rebuild a rear end and forget to add the grease...ought to be held accountadable......such a rookie mistake !! what were they thinking >>>???? either close to break time or lunch time...either way it's a top NOTCH case of HUA !!.......but on the other hand it proves now adays don't take anything for granted.......pop
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Was the rear gear was installed in the car or just in the housing?
If it was installed in the car it was totally NOT your fault!!!!
Guess you'll find out how good the shop is, will they step up and own it or hide behind a lawyer?
My 2cents,,
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

they way POP took it ,,they installed it it;s on them.......but if owner installed it and forgot to add lube....then it falls back on him....either way it's a case of big time HUA!!!!!,,,,,i KNOW a guy who forgot to add oil to his chevy engine while changing oil and filter,,,,but he;s all bowtie,,,I just considered the source and pulled his chevy home for him....you can't fix stupid as RON WHITE says....pop
pop/glenda

mercuryman

Post by mercuryman »

Fred/Pops..The rear gear was not in the car.. So that confirms it.... I’m the DA...I knew all along that I was.. hard lesson learned.. Well I guess I will now have to replace it with a 9 inch... Cyclones are supposed to have 9 inch rears anyway.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Im not perfect either when I was about 16 I rebuilt a S90 Honda. Paint and polished everything, beauty in my fledgling gearhead life. Pushed it to the gas station cause I didn't have a gas can. Pushed it and jumped on let the clutch out and it took off like a sewing machine,,,, for about 50 ft,, no oil, :roll:
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Pop...we had an old machinist in our shop at work that referred to HUA as "Cranial Rectitus". :lol:

Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

mercuryman wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:05 pm
Fred/Pops..The rear gear was not in the car.. So that confirms it.... I’m the DA...I knew all along that I was.. hard lesson learned.. Well I guess I will now have to replace it with a 9 inch... Cyclones are supposed to have 9 inch rears anyway.
I think the '65 Mustang axle housing is a tad narrower than the Cyclone. Could buy you a little more room under the fender well for more rubber. On the other hand, anything with Mustang stamped on it is overpriced X5. Check the specs, my memory is a bit cloudy. :)

Good luck and don't beat yourself up too much. Everybody makes mistakes.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

If you are considering a 9” look for a ‘57-‘59 Ford, they are a bolt in. Including the parking brake and drive shaft. The station wagons and retractable hardtop had larger wheel bearings but the others will work just fine. They all had 28 spline axles.
The shop that did the work on your car should have installed the lube, if it was dry they are responsible for the damage caused.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

mercuryman wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:05 pm
POP has owned 2 cyclones in his life maybe 3 but can recall 2 for sure they both had a 8 in,,,,one was a 4spd the other was a AT.....3.25 gear ratio.....with chrome valve covers and a 4bbl carb...........I have a 9in for my comet,,,for 20 yrs or more with a 3.50 gear...but I can not tear up the 8in that is in it for almost 30n yrs it's a 3.50 from a 76 mustang 2 cobra LS,,,I have run this same 3rd member in a 4spd stang for 2 yrs with slicks......do not waste your money and time on a 9 in.....jmo pop
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

Yup 64/65 Cyclones came from the factory with 8” rear ends. Unless it was a real deal 289 Hipo. Then it got the 9” rear with tapered housing and small bearings like a 65/66 Mustang Hipo.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

comethead wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:12 pm
Yup 64/65 Cyclones came from the factory with 8” rear ends. Unless it was a real deal 289 Hipo. Then it got the 9” rear with tapered housing and small bearings like a 65/66 Mustang Hipo.

Joe
yrs ago I bought a 1965 falcon ranchero,,had a 6cyl AT,,,,but when new had a 289 3spd column shift,,,,but that rascal had a 9in gear 3.50 ratio single track.....me and son put it on a full frame with a stright front axle with Rack n pinion from a foreign car,with a 460 and we narrowed our on rear end houseing,,,it was a race truck,,,,it's long gone today but I still have that 9in rear and gear from it,,,that was just before or just after son grad HS,,,,had forgotten about it,,till JOE posted..pop
pop/glenda

mercuryman

Post by mercuryman »

comethead wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:12 pm

Joe
Wow... I still have a lot to learn about cyclones...I thought they all came from the factory with 9’s.. thanks Pops and Joe... I’m going to stick with the 8... I did remove the center section and it’s a seems to be bound up at the pinion seal only.. the gears are a little scarred. Axels are fine..

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

9 in are the go to rear gear,they are put under everything,,,,,,,but to me for an everyday car and if you already have a 8in under it and it is a good one,,,,why spend the money ,effort and time to change it out...to be able to say I HAVE A 9in in my car is not reason enuff for POP......and as far as forgetting to add grease ,,,we all goof up once or twice in our life,,,it ain't the end of the world,,,the sun is still coming up in the morning and set in the afternoon !!! no one got hurt,,,,other then pride....and put a dollar with pride and you might get a cup of coffee at micky D"S,,,good luck and have a great day..pop
pop/glenda