Change 3 speed stick to 4 speed stick

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
lazer

Re: Change 3 speed stick to 4 speed stick

Post by lazer »

I did find a 4 speed toploader for $800 I have everything out now for a new clutch and PP should have in in a few days.

lazer

Post by lazer »

Finally got the clutch, pressure plate and 4 speed in. It was a tranny I bought used and took a chance, well it shifts great except it grinds a little going into 3rd. WTF So I guess it is coming out again for a new 3rd gear synchro.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Decrease the free travel in the clutch linkage first before you yank it. I'm betting you have too much.
Release bearing should be engaging near the top, not near the floor.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Make sure clutch and shifter is adjusted correct before you pull the transmission,,,sometimes on my top loader it'll scrap just a tad going into 2nd,,,,,not often but once in awhile,,,,so cover all your bases before takeing tranny out,,,,unless you just want the practice,,, :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: just kidding....pop
pop/glenda

lazer

Post by lazer »

I tried those adjustments that you suggested and it still ground. I pulled it got someone to put new gears in and it runs great now. Thanks for all your help. It's nice having that extra gear, i's really fun to drive. Ps I got good at pulling and installing the tranny!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

pratice makes perfect....glad you got her going...there is something about shifting a 4 speed ! enjoy those gears..pop
pop/glenda

lazer

Post by lazer »

Just went to take it for a drive and it wouldn't go in any gear. @##@!@$ Jack it up and get under it again......the clip came off of reverse lever. I can't stand those Hurst clips. Got it back on and it's fine. I'm all new to working this much on cars but I'm learning with all of you guys help.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

it's called..WORKING THE BUGS OUT....just like a new car or truck....just hang in there....afterwards you'll be so glad you have what you have,,,,,pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

lazer wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:26 pm
I can't stand those Hurst clips.
I love 'em because they keep the shift rods nice and firm. Make sure you give 'em an extra snugging up with a screwdriver push to be sure they are fully seated. I can't stand those steel bushings. They don't fit as snug and actually break easier than the nylon ones.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi