T5 Thingamabob?

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
lavron
Site Admin

T5 Thingamabob?

Post by lavron »

I couldn't come up with a better name for this thing-a-ma-bob :P it was mounted to the tail shaft housings of one of the T5 transmissions (can't remember if it was on the V6 transmission in the car or the Turbo 4 cyl. trans) if you look at the pictures below you can see it is a chunk of cast iron and it slides up on the lower rib of the tail shaft housing, it weighs a few pounds.

Just trying to see if anyone knows what Ford's reason for adding this was and maybe if I should paint it up and bolt it back on the transmission? I know car companies don't add things like this for no reason :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Jims65cyclone

Re: T5 Thingamabob?

Post by Jims65cyclone »

It looks like the thingamabob that works with the danksgiver to keep the mortistat from over-revving the whatsadoodle. Be sure to calibrate the smorkadunkle when you reinstall it.

Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Don't know T-5s, but may be a vibration dampener.
My old T-10 has one. It's a short bar, not like this.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

That is to offset the relatively high center of gravity of stock Comets.
As can be seen in the drawing the moment arm lowers the effective center of gravity slowing body roll and loading the tire more evenly in corners. That weight is placed close to center of the car for 2 reasons actually.
It lengthens the moment arm lowering the center of gravity it also negates the severe possibility of the rear wheels losing traction under braking by keeping the f/r weight bias below the axle centerline.
But, seeing your car is already low any advantange gained by installation will be offset by the sparks created by draging the Thingamabob on the road. In short paper weight.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

SASSY wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:38 am
As can be seen in the drawing the moment arm lowers the effective center of gravity slowing body roll and loading the tire more evenly in corners. That weight is placed close to center of the car for 2 reasons actually.
It lengthens the moment arm lowering the center of gravity it also negates the severe possibility of the rear wheels losing traction under braking by keeping the f/r weight bias below the axle centerline.
But, seeing your car is already low any advantange gained by installation will be offset by the sparks created by draging the Thingamabob on the road. In short paper weight.
Fred
If Roy was still around he would be asking you what you're smokin Fred. :)
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Although legal and available at several locations in our little community I do not partake.
But livin on the edge, sometimes when not paying attention that above kinda stuff happens. Thats the only explanation I got :mrgreen: :lol:
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:38 am
In short paper weight.
Didn't come out of a Comet, Fredo.
Paper weight, yeah. Used to offset vibrations in driveline caused by oscillations, if it is what I think it is.

JT
Last edited by Joe Travers on Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Well I will throw it in a bin and if the Comet starts to float I will bolt it on there.

On a serious note, I think it was on the 4-cyl. T5 that also has an odd rear mount. I think the Turbo (or super) charged T-birds were fox body cars

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Here's the old style dampener used on early Ford transmissions, manual and automatic.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Joe, there was one on our '83 Tbird 3.8 V6 auto, looked like that.
The weight on the end vibrated enough to crack and break the arms holding the weight, fell off bounced on the pavement and up into our gas tank creating about a 1 inch square hole. Lost an almost full tank of fuel headed hm from a holiday latenight.
The difference with it gone was unnoticable.
Fred

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

lavron wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:52 am
Well I will throw it in a bin and if the Comet starts to float I will bolt it on there.

On a serious note, I think it was on the 4-cyl. T5 that also has an odd rear mount. I think the Turbo (or super) charged T-birds were fox body cars

See Ya,
Mike
Tbirds were fox body from '79? To '87. Turbo cars were available '87-8 maybe early. 89 first year of supercharged like what I run.
Thinking back I probably should have put a turbo 4 in Sassy as opposed to the V6. The 4 actually had more potential and with Roush killin IMSA with them had good support,,,,,,
Fred

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

we have dirt tracked those non- turbp 2.3 4cyl engines for 20 yrs...they are tough....my son wants to find a decent 60- 63 2dr falcon and install one with a 5spd...the 2.5,,, is good also,,we have a race car out back with a race 2.5 5spd just sitting,,that one is ear marked for this project ,,if not there is a couple of 2.3 on stands in the shop....we just got to find the right falcon,,,,,pop
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Ya the early Falcon is lighter, shorter and still takes good steering. Great choice!
I'd want the turbo though.
Fred

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

yrs ago me and son put a stright axle under a 65 ranchero,,,later son trades for me a 63 2dr falcon ,we changed it over to 5 lug and best I recall we used that 65 frt,,,installed a 5bolt 289 /with the 2speed AT,8in rear with a 3.25 gear,dual exhaust,,,that was a running little rascal,,,,I still have that same 289 today in a 71 bronco,,,,a good friend's son in law had lost his job and had no transportation,,,,but he had a good 302/c4,,,,so I pulled my 289/2spd out of the falcon and pulled it to his house and gave it to him,free of charge...That upset my wife,,I had had the seats redone,,,tires n whls,it was a sharp falcon,,,it was the dulux 2dr chrome down the side and other trim....son wishes I still have it today......told wife he was in need I have plenty so I gave him that car,,,to help him out cause he was down,,,,POP has been blessed way more since then ,,,more then the price of a 63 falcon body...
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

since I posted the above ,,have been trying to recall where I had come up with the V8 2spd,,,it just dawned on me,,,a friend had gave me a complete less the 260 motor,,a 63 4dr comet,,,,we took it and built the 63 falcon....me and dwayne have done so many projects that I sometimes can't recall....age I guess,,,too much white hair...I do recall I wanted the falcon to sit up in the front,so we installed 390 coil springs,,,WRONG !!!,,,they threw the frt end completly out of wack,,way to high couldn't even back it out of shop,,,put the 260 coils in ,was perfect.....
pop/glenda