5 Lug Rear Axle ?

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
joswald

5 Lug Rear Axle ?

Post by joswald »

have a 1964 Comet with a 200 and 2 speed transmission. In the future I would like to change it from 4 lug to 5 lug. I need some advice on this situation. I have read somewhere a early edition 2WD Ranger rear axle would fit. I have no idea if this is true. My restoration I am doing is a low buck project so I don't need someone telling me to buy 9 inch rear. LOL I need to keep it simple. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

popscomet

Re: 5 Lug Rear Axle ?

Post by popscomet »

may I ask...just what do you hope to gain ?? pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

The easiest is an 8" out of a V8 '64 failing that next is an 8" out of a Maverick, I had one for years in my '64 and basically it bolts right in, mine was a 6cyl 8" that still has the 4 lug hubs, the 5 lug should be exactly the same except having 5 lugs.

I did the Explorer rear home shorten by using 2 passenger axles and cutting the housing down, that gave me rear disc brakes and 3.73 track lock. If you can't do the welding yourself, you can probably find a driveline shop to do it for you and add the proper spring pads.

Going 8.8 will require other updates like brake master etc, so not as easy as finding an 8" V8 Maverick rear or Comet/Falcon V8 rear

Here is a comparison of the Maverick 8" and my narrowed 8.8

The way I did it was not the easy way, the 8" install was way easy, everything lined up even the ebrake cables, I did have to use a conversion u-joint but used my original driveshaft.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

joswald

Post by joswald »

Hi Pop. What I'm hoping to gain is more variety. The are many more 5 lug wheels to choose from then there are four lug.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

joswald wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:47 pm
Hi Pop. What I'm hoping to gain is more variety. The are many more 5 lug wheels to choose from then there are four lug.
GOTCHA,,,so your gonna do the front also...??,,,Ya know,late 70 early 80's.I bought a early mustang,,that when new was a 6cyl....had v8 rear and 5 lug frt...at least that's what I thought,,,come to find out,,on frt were 4 to 5 adapters,,,I left them on for along time,,,one reason I even bought it was for the mag 500 whls ,,even had one for a spare,,,I liked how those adapters widend out the front end...never had a problem,,,few yrs later I did change from 4 to a complete 5 frt end....the 4 lug frt end is so much lighter and at the time I used the stang on the street and strip,,,289 cross ram 2x4,,headers 4spd and a 8in 4.11 rear gear with a mini spool and slicks at the strip,,,,never tore nothing up,,,,only reason I changed the frt to 5 was because I just happened to have everything and me and son didn't have anyrhing else to do that day,,,,,,good luck on your project....thanks pop
pop/glenda

joswald

Post by joswald »

Hey Pop,
As the smart veteran you are, I feel into your web of trickery. LOL. I honestly never thought of that. How far out does the spacer push the wheel? What size tire did you go with? This is why this web site is awesome. There is so much help and positive feedback. I've had two Cougars multiple Mustangs and by far this place is the most friendly. Comets are awesome.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

the whls were 14x6,,,,back then tires were f70's I think....spacer was about an inch or so they were already on the car,,as far as trickery...you'll have to explain the trickery part to me,,,,that's not my style to trick anyone....pop
pop/glenda

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Mornin, I just wanted to stop in and say hey.

For me, this latest format isn't as easy to follow what is going on in the community. I'm happy to see many people still on here kickin.

Here's what I did yesterday. Comet's cousin work here.
Attachments
Dash 2.jpg
Dash 2.jpg (98.11 KiB) Viewed 1199 times
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Lip Ripper wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:13 am
Mornin, I just wanted to stop in and say hey.
Good to see you Stacy glad you came by for a visit, the new look is just how phpBB thinks we should look in an upgraded state, I still need to get the header changed but it is not as easy for the guy behind the scenes to work with as the old one or he is just simply not smart enough :roll: certainly have missed your posts and a couple of other guys lately I knew you were still around from the FB group, I just tend to post here more than over there.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058