Clutch travel

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Joe Travers

Clutch travel

Post by Joe Travers »

My clutch travel is 1/2" short of factory spec, causing release bearing to ride on clutch. After shifting into 4th gear, I barely lift the pedal with my toe and bearing is fully released. Seems there isn't enough spring tension to bring pedal up 1/2" I need to provide adequate free play without my assistance. Measured spring and it is correct and mounted to frame rail just behind motor mount to clear header. I know '65 Mustang is mounted to shock tower, providing another inch of tension. I have no problem removing mine by hand to check free-play adjustment at the bearing release lever. If my memory is correct, I had to pry the spring hook off the bearing release lever with a screwdriver when I was a strong young man. Would a shorter spring provide the tension I need to straighten this out?

Thanks!

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

SASSY

Re: Clutch travel

Post by SASSY »

Hey Joe,,, Been a long gime since I mechanical linkage but shouldn't you be able to adjust dis/engagement height of the pedal,, pics?
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:57 pm
Hey Joe,,, Been a long gime since I mechanical linkage but shouldn't you be able to adjust dis/engagement height of the pedal,, pics?
I'm thinking hydraulic again, Fred. Can you send those pics of remote reservoir? I have room to mount one left of master cylinder looking at firewall. The headers on this car are causing big headaches. Are you listening Doug? :wink:
I'll try post pics this evening.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

65's have a slot with hole , & also on the shock tower brace;

I used a mustang spring I think.

Another thought. if the spring under the dash may be working against you? also guessing it has that like 65's . supposed to decrease leg effort so if it may be too tight?

before I tore my car down it didnt have much pedal travel ,& slipped bad if you tromped it. I just figured the clutch was wore out but when I tore it apart the zbar pivot ball on the frame was broke .I guess it was kinda trapped in the little area by the steering box enough to still work. broken pivot was probably caused by broken motor mounts. so if that pivot got loose might be same way.
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:46 pm
Another thought. if the spring under the dash may be working against you? also guessing it has that like 65's . supposed to decrease leg effort so if it may be too tight?
That's what I'm thinking, John. Measured the distance from end of spring retainer to back of clip under the dash after I posted. It's 1/2" too tight. That makes sense; it may be pulling the pedal down from the top, preventing it from reaching full travel. :idea: :?:

Don't believe Z bar bushing is busted but felt washer on frame bracket needs replacing. I'll check the bushing when I replace washer. Had a nylon bushing break on a '68 Mustang many years ago and the bearing wouldn't release one iota.

Thanks, Amigo!

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I cant find any pics on my computors that detail that so I'll get a few today.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:21 am
I cant find any pics on my computors that detail that so I'll get a few today.
Let me go back again through your build thread first, Fred. I may be able to pick up what I need from there.
Should have thought of that first. My apologies.

Thanks!

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Took a few but too big to load will resize, these 2 came off my low rez tablet.
The first one is taken through the fender well hole. Shows that the master cyl is at the same angle as the shaft. It is an easy mount. I have a pic somewhere that shows the master cyl installs with a 1/4 turn into a square hole. The square hole is in a bracket I made that bolts to the gasket mount holes for the steering column pass through. The line from the master to the slave was originally some sort of formed plastic. I took the ends from the plastic line to a hydraulic line shop and they fitted a flexible line.
The resivour (spelling elludes me and spell check couldn't figure out what I wanted,,lol) is just on a 2 bit mount. The stuff has been that way sincesbout '05.
Edit the last pic shows the bracket for the master fairly cleanly.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Thank you, Fred!

I'm trying to work with the mechanical linkage for now. Jumping into a hydraulic set-up is a possibility in the future, especially if I can't sort out what I have. I truly appreciate the pics. If I jump into this, I'll definitely be hitting up the master hacker again. :D

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Fred....what master/reservoir/slave did you use?

Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

1989 Cougar XR7. Im sure Tbird SuperCoupe same stuff and that trans was used on alot of stuff including my '89 F150, 5.0 4x4 with a hyd clutch so probably somd diffetent styles out there.
Fred
Edit,, the slave may be a problem for old school trans because it mounts on the trans input shaft.

comethead

Post by comethead »

I removed the assist spring at the pedal support as well. It pops the pedal back up but pushes it to the floor too. I’m using diaphragm clutches in both cars (65 Comet and 64 Falcon).
I had to make a small bracket to attach the spring at the motor mount to clear the headers. Used a Mustang spring as well.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Finally got the assist spring close to spec. Total clutch travel is a little shy of spec but it is really snappy now. I'm going to have to readjust everything after I replace the bumper at the firewall. I didn't install the clutch, so I don't know if it's Long-type or diaphragm. Took it for a drive and checked disengagement and it's around the center of travel. Much better than it ever has been since I bought it but really snappy coming up. It may be diaphragm, doesn't take much effort to push it. Spins the tires in 1st with minimal throttle coming off the clutch.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Joe Travers wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:17 pm
Final

.Spins the tires in 1st with minimal throttle coming off the clutch.
JT
With a right foot as heavy as yours how do you measure minimal?? :mrgreen:

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:33 pm
Joe Travers wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:17 pm
Spins the tires in 1st with minimal throttle coming off the clutch.
With a right foot as heavy as yours how do you measure minimal?? :mrgreen:
Fast idle :shock: :lol:

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop