Clutch travel

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Joe Travers

Re: Clutch travel

Post by Joe Travers »

Finally got the assist spring adjusted to factory spec (1 1/16" end of retainer to back of clip). Had to find small pair of vice-grip pliers to hold retainer still while backing off the adjustment nut. Tight under there and hard to measure accurately. Have to hold your mouth just right :shock: :lol:
Now have full clutch travel when you pop it and no more release bearing drag :D Never would have believed a 1/2" spring adjustment would make such a difference. Someone had the assist spring adjustment cranked all the way down :?

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Joe Travers wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:42 pm
Never would have believed a 1/2" spring adjustment would make such a difference. Someone had the assist spring adjustment cranked all the way down :?
JT
Maybe different clutch kits need different adjustments?

So whats next chief? other than a good long ride! :P I resisted today but it was hard after that sun popped out,I was working on the house & needed tools from the shop so opened it up & she kept giving me the look ,she wanted it ,just as much as I did,I could tell. even though I looked back,even snapped a pic I resisted. finally I had to shut the door but I kept working! :lol:
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:23 pm
Maybe different clutch kits need different adjustments?
Point well taken, John. Car was getting a new clutch when I bought it and I told 'em to put the Long type back in it so I could adjust it to factory spec. I took her for a good drive yesterday. Looked under it just before dark and the carrier was leaking a little. Just got finished tightening it up. No GoPro yet, need to find a brave soul to ride shotgun with a phone camera. Don't have enough rubber in the back to get too wild with it. :roll:

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

poboyjo65 wrote:
she kept giving me the look ,she wanted it ,just as much as I did,I could tell. even though I looked back,even snapped a pic I resisted.
Oh, John! You could be one of those Romance writers. You sly dog. :wink: :lol:

Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:20 pm
poboyjo65 wrote:
she kept giving me the look ,she wanted it ,just as much as I did,I could tell. even though I looked back,even snapped a pic I resisted.
Oh, John! You could be one of those Romance writers. You sly dog. :wink: :lol:
Now I know what you been reading in the check-out line :shock: :lol:

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Just the covers, Joe, just the covers... :roll:

Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

They can be seductive :lol: mine kept me out entirely too long this morning wanting me to rub her body smooth :roll: I did get a shot of primer on the bare metal before I was done. I would like to say it went run freem but it didn’t and was not epoxy yet so I can sand that smooth and shoot epoxy later I did not feel up to cleaning my gun, mixing primer and cleaning the gun again .( new gun) and it was hot and I was feeling wobbly legs the house dr. Ordered me into the house to rest so I complied
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

lavron wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:35 pm
They can be seductive :lol: mine kept me out entirely too long this morning wanting me to rub her body smooth :roll: I did get a shot of primer on the bare metal before I was done. I would like to say it went run freem but it didn’t and was not epoxy yet so I can sand that smooth and shoot epoxy later I did not feel up to cleaning my gun, mixing primer and cleaning the gun again .( new gun) and it was hot and I was feeling wobbly legs the house dr. Ordered me into the house to rest so I complied
Rubbed Little Red smooth this morning with Armor-All car wash lather :lol: Two guys drove up while I was toweling her down for a look and a lot of talk. Cranked her up for 'em after I dried her off. Choke kicked off while we were talking and the cam started doin' the talking. They stopped yakking then. 8) On the clutch scene.....smooth operator since the last adjustment but I need to tighten up the shifter stop in 4th. Scratching a tad when 3rd is wound up. May be traveling past the detent hitting 4th.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop