Torque specs for trans. install

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
lazer

Torque specs for trans. install

Post by lazer »

I have a 66 comet 390 4 speed could someone tell me the torque specs on the bellhousing and pressure plate? I found pressure plate 35 lbs and bellhousing 40-5- and trans to bell 37-42 lbs are these right/ Different places give you different numbers. Thanks.

popscomet

Re: Torque specs for trans. install

Post by popscomet »

don't forget .....a few drops of LOK-TIGHT on pp bolts,,, on bell houseing bolts not as important, ,and I always smear anti-seiz on input shaft spline and on end to go into pilot shaft bushing good luck pop
pop/glenda

lazer

Post by lazer »

Thanks for the tips, I've never done this before but it's going pretty smooth so far. The biggest problem that I had was the top bolt on the starter, I had to get a 2' extension and go in through the front of the engine.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

join the crowd :!: :wink: good luck.....you gonna do just fine................pop
pop/glenda

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

dont go past 35 on the pp bolts.i snapped one off at 40 one time thinking they torqued at 45,wrong! is your comet a factory 390 4 speed caliente or cyclone
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

lazer

Post by lazer »

It's a '66 390 3 speed stock, I thought. Ran into a problem, went to put on the 11" pressure plate and the holes wouldn't line up on the fly wheel. I looked at the old PP and it's a 11 1/2" I ordered a new fly wheel, same amount of teeth, so I hope this all fits.