61 comet...new front shocks install......

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
61 Waycrosscomet

61 comet...new front shocks install......

Post by 61 Waycrosscomet »

after replacing all the ball joints, bushings, etc, putting it all back together in order opposite i removed, almost last is front shocks. Never done shocks before, newbie. Installing Gabriel classic, unfortunately box doesn't come with any instructions, not sure how the upper shock bushings and washers go.
ALSO, on lower part of shock where it threads through spring perch, the perch is not level so one side of shock is a bit higher than other side, will this
go away when i center up shock at the tower and tighten bolts? I noticed this issue on both sides.
My lower spring termination point is facing the outside, someone on facebook suggested i had my spring perch in backwards, but i took a picture before
i removed it. shop manual is not help on this.
supporting the lower control arm doesn't seem to level that perch out as the spring is stronger than the weight of car, (with engine). What am I missing or doing wrong? thanks for any help and sorry for all the questions....

power band

Re: 61 comet...new front shocks install......

Post by power band »

... relax, sounds like you have everything in order. Off kilter shock - installing shock pulled straight is typical and spring lower termination is fine on outer side - believe also typical.

Did you replace front coil springs and/or rubber cushion at top of shock tower?. ( 60/ '61's also have unique spring height )

OEM '61

60/61's usually have 'early' front spindles with unique smaller lower BJ bores. Early cars had greasable-bushinged and O-ring sealed lower spring perches - now favored as a performance upgrade!.

My '61 with Maverick spindles and 4 lug disc brake upgrade and cut Maverick coils.

hav e fun

61 Waycrosscomet

Re: 61 comet...new front shocks install......

Post by 61 Waycrosscomet »

The coil is original. I had to replace the flexible insulator that sort of twists on the top of the coil and sits under the metal 'cap' (spring seat?).
someone mentioned or I saw on you tube that there should be a thin gasket that sits on top of that metal 'cap', so there isn't metal on metal.

so I won't damage the shock if I have to pull it straight to center through the shock tower? someone mentioned they had the same issue and got
resolved when they put the wheel hub and wheel back on.
If need be I can do the shock last and go ahead and put the hub and wheel back on before the shock......

Thanks for your response....really helps....