64 K code c4 column shift linkage

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
boss2man

64 K code c4 column shift linkage

Post by boss2man »

I am restoring a 64 Caliente that was an incomplete project when I found it. I am having difficulty identifying the correct linkage setup. From the original shop manual it appears there is a single rod from the lever coming out of the shift tube going directly to the transmission. This a C4 btw. all of the "experts" I have spoken with insist that all these cars as well as Falcons used a bell crank assembly. I don't believe this is true. Maybe for the 2 speed but doesn't appear so for the C4. Can anyone help me out with this or even better include a picture of the set up on your car? Thanks,

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: 64 K code c4 column shift linkage

Post by A/FX »

boss2man wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 11:46 am
I am restoring a 64 Caliente that was an incomplete project when I found it. I am having difficulty identifying the correct linkage setup. From the original shop manual it appears there is a single rod from the lever coming out of the shift tube going directly to the transmission. This a C4 btw. all of the "experts" I have spoken with insist that all these cars as well as Falcons used a bell crank assembly. I don't believe this is true. Maybe for the 2 speed but doesn't appear so for the C4. Can anyone help me out with this or even better include a picture of the set up on your car? Thanks,
There was no bell crank on a Comet, the big Mercury’s had one. Here is a picture from the parts book showing the steering column and related parts. Also a “ K” code Comet is nothing special, a “K” in a comet serial number is a 289/210hp, four barrel, single exhaust.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

boss2man wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 11:46 am
all of the "experts" I have spoken with insist that all these cars as well as Falcons used a bell crank assembly.
May have confused shift linkage with throttle linkage.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

boss2man

Post by boss2man »

Thanks, that was what I was looking for, now just need to find the part. BTW, I am well aware that the K code is nothing special, it was just to identify that my car came with a 289 with a C4 not the 2 speed transmission.

bmmaurer

Post by bmmaurer »

There was no bell crank on a Comet, the big Mercury’s had one. Here is a picture from the parts book showing the steering column and related parts. Also a “ K” code Comet is nothing special, a “K” in a comet serial number is a 289/210hp, four barrel, single exhaust.
Jim
[/quote]

The 60-64 that had a 2 speed Merc-O-Matic has a bellcrank on the side of the bellhousing. The 64 with the C4 option on the Comet did not have the bellcrank but was pictured as above.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

bmmaurer wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 8:58 am
Jim
The 60-64 that had a 2 speed Merc-O-Matic has a bellcrank on the side of the bellhousing. The 64 with the C4 option on the Comet did not have the bellcrank but was pictured as above.

[/quote]

I was half correct! Damn FoMoCo never makes things easy.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”