62 Comet rear 5 Lug Conversion

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
dydaktix

62 Comet rear 5 Lug Conversion

Post by dydaktix »

Is there any way to do a 5 lug conversion on the rear while keeping the stock rear housing/axles etc? Car needs tires, and I eventually wanna go 8.8 or 8 inch rear, but don't have the time/budget right now.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: 62 Comet rear 5 Lug Conversion

Post by A/FX »

dydaktix wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:18 pm
Is there any way to do a 5 lug conversion on the rear while keeping the stock rear housing/axles etc? Car needs tires, and I eventually wanna go 8.8 or 8 inch rear, but don't have the time/budget right now.
It might be possible but it is not practical. If there is enough “meat” on the axle flange to accept the 5x4 1/2” bolt pattern you could have a machine shop redrill the axles and brake drums, this could be expensive. A fixture is needed to make sure that bolt pattern is drilled concentric with the center line of the axle.
You may be able to find adaptors that use your four lug pattern and convert it to
the 5x4 1/2” pattern. If it were me I would wait and change everything at the same time.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Ya adapters would work but what do you want for wheels?
That is the first question you should ask yourself then all decisions could be made to achieve that end.
The wheel house is small to start with, moving the wheel closer to the body will limit selection of classic style wheels.
You may be able to run late model negative offset wheels if you like that look.
Just a thought.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:05 am
Ya adapters would work but what do you want for wheels?
That is the first question you should ask yourself then all decisions could be made to achieve that end.
The wheel house is small to start with, moving the wheel closer to the body will limit selection of classic style wheels.
You may be able to run late model negative offset wheels if you like that look.
Just a thought.
That's a great thought, Fred!
When the swap is finally made, the wheel offset will change by the width of the adaptor plate. That's going to necessitate new wheels & tires for a good fit. I'm sure the well is the same as my '63. The widest tire that will fit in the well is 8" tread width w/ 4.25" backspace for 15 X 7 wheel.

As Jim responded, I'd save and pick up the parts needed to make it all happen at once to save money. In the meantime, purchase 13" tires as needed to keep it on the road. They aren't expensive and may find good used pairs for little money for now. My 2 cents.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

dydaktix

Post by dydaktix »

I have 2 sets of modern wheels with tires already mounted. I'd like to run them if I can.

Set 1 (preferred) is 225/50R16 16x7 +38 (5.5 BS) (4.5 BS w/1" spacer)

Will this fit? 225s seem to be on the wide side.

Set 2 is 205/50R16 16x7 +28 (5.10 BS) (4.12B BS w/1" Spacer)

My neighbor is running 195/65R15 15x6 3.625 BS on his 61 Falcon, and it seems to fit great.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

To my knowledge there are 2 ways to see if they fit, stuff 'em up in there and or measure every which way from Sunday.
With the wheels off and the car sitting on its springs (jack stands under the rear housing)use a straight edge resting on the wheel mount surface to get an idea of the wheel tub location relative to the mount surface. Then lay the flat edge on the tire and measure to the mount face on both sides including adapter thickness. This should give you a idea of clearance,,,, or interference.
Good luck.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

SASSY wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:25 pm
With the wheels off and the car sitting on its springs (jack stands under the rear housing)use a straight edge resting on the wheel mount surface to get an idea of the wheel tub location relative to the mount surface. Then lay the flat edge on the tire and measure to the mount face on both sides including adapter thickness. This should give you a idea of clearance,,,, or interference.
If you want a visual idea, use the method Fred describes above, then cut a strip of stiff cardboard the width of your tire. Tape it to the end of your straight edge with the offset you measure, then place the straight edge back on the axel mounting surface and see how your template fits in the fender well. Be sure to slide it far enough up into the wheel well to take the axel travel on bumps into account.

Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Here's some pix of the stock '63 8" differential for reference. Didn't have enough hands to pull a tape but all clearances are well less than 1". Wheels are 15 X7 Mag 500 w/ 4.25" backspace & 205/60-R15 rubber. Thread width is 8.1". As you can see, this is maxed out for stock application, especially passenger side.

IDK if '64-'65 will directly bolt up but I do know the spring perch is different. You'll have to search the forum for that answer to see if anyone has done that swap for early Comet.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

dydaktix

Post by dydaktix »

that's super helpful. How is the fitment in the front? Looks like if I use some 205/50R16s 16x7+28 with a 25mm spacer it'll put me within 3mm of your setup.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Just a thought... (actually my personal opinion) 50 series tires do not have enough sidewall to look appropriate on a ‘60’s car. Back in the ‘70’s I had 50 series on my Cyclone and always hated the look but I wanted the width that the 50’s offered. I was using a stock width ‘57 Ford 9” which dictated the amount of tire without a jacked up suspension.
That is one of the main reasons this time around I built the rear axle housing to fit after I set the car at ride height with the wheels and tires in place.
(Basically built the whole rear suspension around the rear wheel tire combo)
Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

dydaktix wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:38 pm
that's super helpful. How is the fitment in the front? Looks like if I use some 205/50R16s 16x7+28 with a 25mm spacer it'll put me within 3mm of your setup.
No problems with the front. The 205/60-R15 is the same height as the stock 13" tire that came on the car. The extra width is not a problem. The 205/50R16 is a tad shorter & same thread width. Should not be a problem with the same back spacing. This can be a problem with the TTD. They are good for front skinnies.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

dydaktix

Post by dydaktix »

A/FX wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:22 pm
Just a thought... (actually my personal opinion) 50 series tires do not have enough sidewall to look appropriate on a ‘60’s car. Back in the ‘70’s I had 50 series on my Cyclone and always hated the look but I wanted the width that the 50’s offered. I was using a stock width ‘57 Ford 9” which dictated the amount of tire without a jacked up suspension.
That is one of the main reasons this time around I built the rear axle housing to fit after I set the car at ride height with the wheels and tires in place.
Jim
Totally get this. It's just that I have a set of wheels and tires collecting dust in the garage. what size tires/wheels are you running?

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

dydaktix wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:59 pm
A/FX wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:22 pm
Jim
Totally get this. It's just that I have a set of wheels and tires collecting dust in the garage. what size tires/wheels are you running?
I am running 275-60 15’s on 8” rims with a 2 1/4” back spacing on the rear
on the front I have 185-70 15’s on a 4 1/2” rim with a 2” back spacing.
I could actually run a slightly wider tire on the rear if I wanted it but I am trying to stay away from the “pro street” look and just keep the “enhanced” factory look.
Jim

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I posted this on darryl27529's build thread, but looks like it should be here, too. So....

Here are some tools I used in figuring out what tires/wheels to get for mine.
https://www.rsracing.com/TechWheel.aspx
https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre ... calculator
https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

The last one may be the most helpful for your situation. Mind you, it's not perfect. I occasional have some tire scrub on my front tires on tight turns with a dip. I probably should have gone down a size in width and/or profile on my front tires.

Jim