Leaf Spring Input

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
rmertz3282

Leaf Spring Input

Post by rmertz3282 »

I have decided to upgrade my rear end with new springs, gears, and carrier. Can anyone opine as to why Eaton springs are double the price over springs from General or others? I don’t mind paying for quality but is this really worth it?
Randy
1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible

Joe Travers

Re: Leaf Spring Input

Post by Joe Travers »

Have you considered having the springs re-arched and re-painted?
Should be a cheaper proposition w/ same result? IDK, thinking of this for next year myself.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

351 Pinto

Post by 351 Pinto »

I can't comment on the Eaton springs as I am not familiar with them, but I am happy with mine from General. They are stock replacements and work as they should.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I may have mentioned this in the past.
I had my springs made locally by a spring shop that caters to big trucks but also is very familiar with leaf sprung cars. They had the specs for the Comet so that is where we started when making the new springs. I wanted the front eye rolled backwards to lower the car and also punch the axle center pin hole 2” to the rear. (Altered wheelbase) After installing the springs and setting ride height It seemed like everything was right. After finishing the car and driving it 1,000 miles I drove it to the spring shop to show them now the project turned out, I mentioned that I still would like it to sit about a half inch lower in the rear, they assured me it still had to settle. Now with over 3,000 miles on it they were correct it has come down but I now I am thinking about lowering the front coil overs about a half inch.
My suggestion would be to stick with a local shop, Eaton is a good company but they just sell springs, down the road a local company will be there to give advice and tweak the springs if necessary.
Just my opinion
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I've had springs re-arched before and they worked just fine. The ideal situation would be like Jim said and have them made locally to your specs, but as long as you end up with the dimensions and the spring rate you want, springs are springs IMO.

Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:39 pm
I've had springs re-arched before and they worked just fine. The ideal situation would be like Jim said and have them made locally to your specs, but as long as you end up with the dimensions and the spring rate you want, springs are springs IMO.
Found a local spring shop today.
I have typical driver's side sag and plan on pulling both and having them matched after the holidays.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

You need to lay off the fruit cake, Joe. :lol: :lol:

Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:43 pm
You need to lay off the fruit cake, Joe. :lol: :lol:
I'm 6'2", 180 lbs.
Wasn't me that wore 'em out :shock: :lol:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

barrys65cyclone

Post by barrys65cyclone »

I paid up for Eaton Springs and could not be happier.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

A/FX wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:47 pm
Now with over 3,000 miles on it they were correct it has come down but I now I am thinking about lowering the front coil overs about a half inch.
Jim
Careful Jim it's a slippery slope. Thats been happening to me for many years, its almost an addiction, lol
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

SASSY wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:23 am
A/FX wrote:
Now with over 3,000 miles on it they were correct it has come down but I now I am thinking about lowering the front coil overs about a half inch.
Jim
Careful Jim it's a slippery slope. Thats been happening to me for many years, its almost an addiction, lol
I cannot slide too far, right now the collectors for My headers are the limiting factor. About a 1/2” is all I could lower it without the fear of hanging them up on roadkill.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

A/FX wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:20 am
SASSY wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:23 am
A/FX wrote:
I cannot slide too far, right now the collectors for My headers are the limiting factor. About a 1/2” is all I could lower it without the fear of hanging them up on roadkill.
Oh I know but you'll figure a way, then its the pan, then anti roll bar, then the motor has to go up, then the drag link does, Now I gotta narrow the front track width so it'll turn. Ya it's a slippey slope!! Lol
Drive it Jim it's beauty!
Sorry to side track the thread.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about