Flywheel, Clutch size?

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Lou's Comet

Flywheel, Clutch size?

Post by Lou's Comet »

Ok I have been looking at flywheels, clutch's, pressure plate stuff.

I know I need the flywheel balance to match the engine balance. What I was wondering, do I go with the 157 teeth or the 164 teeth? I was going to go with billet steel.

As far as clutch, is 10.5 inch good enough, or should I go with 11 inch. I assume the 11 inch clutch would need the bigger flywheel but I don't know. Kind of thought the 11" were more for trucks? I was also leaning toward the diaphragm type pressure plate vs the 3 finger type, for less pedal pressure.

I have a Lakewood safety bellhousing. And a toploader. Engine will be in the 400+ hp range. 4:11 rear.

Thanks for any and all help !

Lou

popscomet

Re: Flywheel, Clutch size?

Post by popscomet »

I have a 10 in in my comet,,I changed to a dia a few yrs ago,,lot better on the foot pressure,,jmo
pop/glenda

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I've got a 10.5" spec grade 2 in my 95 Mustang. A supercharged 302 with methanol water injection 400+ hp with 10.5" Micky Thompson drag radials. I've pounded that combination at the drag strip and have had 0 issues with the clutch, but have wrecked a few T5 transmissions. That clutch works great in town driving also. The peddle is a little stiffer than stock but not bad.
My thought is the brand of clutch makes a big difference rather than the size. I started out with a ram 10.5" but it did not last a year. Junk :x
I also have an aluminum flywheel. The less weight off the back of the crank the faster it will rev.
Just my experience and thoughts
Tom
tomb's 65

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

have seen a few T5's give up the ghost at the strip,,,they all gave up going for 3rd gear best I recall
pop/glenda

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Yup!! 3 rd gear is the week link in a T5
Tom
tomb's 65

comethead

Post by comethead »

Hey Lou in the Falcon I have a 10.4” Centerforce II clutch with a 164 tooth steel SFI flywheel from Summit.
Clutch effort is a little higher than the regular diaphragm clutch I have in the Comet.
I also have a Lakewood bell housing and Toploader.
I don’t think there’s a need anymore for a 164 tooth flywheel. The 157 tooth will work. I screwed up communicating with my engine guy and he thought I wanted a 164 tooth so that’s what I have.
I believe the Lakewood will accommodate either flywheel.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I also have a lakewood with a top loader and my lakewood has an extra started bolt whole to adjust the starter position for either flywheel, 157 or164. I am running a 157 tooth billet flywheel I bought from Ford Motorsports in the 90's with a 10.5" king cobra clutch in my Cyclone. In my 66 fastback running 157 tooth with a 10.4" center force clutch. Like Joe said the center force requires a little less pedal effort but its not a very noticeable difference.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

comethead

Post by comethead »

Also, related to starters for the 157 and 164 tooth flywheels- they are different because the ring gear is positioned differently on the different sized flywheels.
Here’s a diagram with the differences
https://static.speedwaymotors.com/pdf/91067430.pdf
And this discussion of the differences. About halfway down there’s a good diagram from Powermaster
https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads ... t.1184750/

Joe

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks for Info. I was hoping I could go with the 157 and a 10.5.

Looking at a Billet steel 157 flywheel from Ford racing and will look at the center force clutch/pressure plate kits. Been a long time since I messed with clutch's and such. But need to start ordering parts especially if I want to be running this year. With the "Supply chain issues" it is a little rough getting stuff.

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

comethead wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:41 pm
Also, related to starters for the 157 and 164 tooth flywheels- they are different because the ring gear is positioned differently on the different sized flywheels.
Here’s a diagram with the differences
https://static.speedwaymotors.com/pdf/91067430.pdf
And this discussion of the differences. About halfway down there’s a good diagram from Powermaster
https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads ... t.1184750/

Joe
Thanks for the link. I saved the diagram. Thinking it may be useful in the near future!

Lou

comethead

Post by comethead »

No problem Lou!
I went through the parts store frustration trying to get the correct starter and no help.
I recommend DB Electrical for a mini starter at a great price. Got one for the Falcon and it’s been great.

Joe

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

comethead wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:45 pm
No problem Lou!
I went through the parts store frustration trying to get the correct starter and no help.
I recommend DB Electrical for a mini starter at a great price. Got one for the Falcon and it’s been great.

Joe
Thanks Joe, I will check them out.

Lou

comethead

Post by comethead »

I thought I added a link. Here it is
https://www.dbelectrical.com/starters/? ... lsrc=aw.ds

Joe

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

I am going through the clutch selection process for my build. Part of the Pkg I bought from Blueprint Engines includes a Part # BPPF157T28 flywheel which says it if for a 10 1/2" clutch setup. It must be double drilled for pressure plates because I could get my 10" stock setup that I removed from the car to match up. The flywheel is a Speedmaster and includes weights I assume for balancing. Have any of you used this flywheel on a SB Windsor and can anyone recommend a 10 1/2" clutch PP combo that would be a good setup for my build? I have a call in to Blueprint but they have yet to call. I want to get the 10 spline clutch disc, PP and TO bearing ordered and only want to do it once:-)
Thanks, Douglas---------------
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Ok narrowed it down too 2 , (I think lol) Would like your opinions,

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctf-kcft214814. $460

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctf-kdf214814 $509

Both of these come as kit with clutch, pp, to bearing, pilot bearing.

The difference is the material, one is organic and the other one is organic/carbon

Again thanks for all your help.

Lou