Lower control arm

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Joe Travers

Re: Lower control arm

Post by Joe Travers »

Here's a pic of my crusty '63 LCA. If I outlive the front suspension, I'll find out what's under the lower bushing. Fine for now.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

JCBond

Post by JCBond »

The lower control arm came with two cupped washers. Do you think they go like that?

IMG_2990.jpg
IMG_2990.jpg (79.68 KiB) Viewed 1739 times

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

JCBond wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:19 am
The lower control arm came with two cupped washers. Do you think they go like that?

IMG_2990.jpg
that doesn't make sense at all for me.why would you need a cupped washer in those places? probably flatten out when you torque it down. & probably cut the rubber boot.
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

LCA is aftermarket, maybe they made a mistake in packing? IDK
I'd give them a call. The washers look like strut rod washers to me.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Joe Travers wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:40 pm
LCA is aftermarket, maybe they made a mistake in packing? IDK
I'd give them a call. The washers look like strut rod washers to me.

Joe
You just posted a pic of one of the cupped washers under that end link, I posted 2-3 pics of them under and on top of the lca on the end links.under the rubber.
Johno

JCBond

Post by JCBond »

Joe Travers wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:54 am
Here's a pic of my crusty '63 LCA. If I outlive the front suspension, I'll find out what's under the lower bushing. Fine for now.

Joe
Joe in your picture of that lower control arm it looks like your sway bar is a little kinked between those two bushings. Do you know if that is normal. Mine is a little kinked too. It was hard to get in down through the LCA to get the nut on.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

You don't want to use any washers on the ball joint-to-spindle installation. The taper of the shaft and that of the spindle are a precision fit. Washers could prevent the shaft from fully seating in the spindle. I think the cupped washers are for the sway bar connectors. I don't know why they included the cupped washers unless it's because the joint and control arm came as an assembled unit, and they figured you have to disconnect the sway bar connectors to install it. But if that's the reason, seems they would include the two rubber bushings, too. :roll: Were the washers included in both the boxes that the control arms came in?

Jim

JCBond

Post by JCBond »

Yes the cupped washers were in the same sealed plastic bag with the LCAs.

JCBond

Post by JCBond »

I see the taper. The mouth of the cupped washers is wide enough to get passed the taper when compressed.
IMG_2996.jpg
IMG_2996.jpg (78.15 KiB) Viewed 1719 times
IMG_2995.jpg
IMG_2995.jpg (59.65 KiB) Viewed 1719 times

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:40 pm
You just posted a pic of one of the cupped washers under that end link, I posted 2-3 pics of them under and on top of the lca on the end links.under the rubber.
I was shooting the link bushing @ LCA to check it out. Not sure if it's a washer or raised ring embossed in the LCA as you mentioned.
Need the master parts catalog for the car like the dealers had to find out. It wouldn't surprise me if it's different than '65.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

JCBond wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:30 pm
Joe in your picture of that lower control arm it looks like your sway bar is a little kinked between those two bushings. Do you know if that is normal. Mine is a little kinked too. It was hard to get in down through the LCA to get the nut on.
I doubt it is normal. What order did you do the installation?
Shop manual states to install link to LCA, then bar to link. I would try a loose install in that order, tighten link first.
I didn't install the front suspension.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

JCBond

Post by JCBond »

I've got it all back apart. I'm waiting for the sway bar bushings. But I will try that order.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Joe Travers wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:11 pm
poboyjo65 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:40 pm
I was shooting the link bushing @ LCA to check it out. Not sure if it's a washer or raised ring embossed in the LCA as you mentioned.
Need the master parts catalog for the car like the dealers had to find out. It wouldn't surprise me if it's different than '65.

Joe
yea thats what I'm thinking is they were stamped on to the originals, kinda like the top shock mounts have a similar cupped washer for the shock rubber. but these new aftermarket LCA's just come with loose cupped washers. you can see how the end link leans with the suspension dropped . Probably better to tighten them up after you let the car down off jacks,just like the LCA mounting bolts .
Johno