roller 5.0 help

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Joe Travers

Re: roller 5.0 help

Post by Joe Travers »

redhotcomet wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 10:25 am
You can use the explorer serpentine belt accessories but it does get tricky if you delete any accessories.
If a guy wants to do it on the cheap, can you cut the mounts for the smog pump and other accessories?
I was working on a '65 project car for someone last year w/ a stock roller but I never looked into it. It had an electric fan and fuel pump but the engine bay wasn't finished up.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I wouldn't reuse the balancer. I think you'll find a v-belt setup easier especially if no AC or PS. I would also replace the timing chain. Figure out what eccentric you'll be using (1-pc or 2-pc) since it & cam gear have to match (pic below).

2-pc:

1-pc:

Here's a good source for valve springs, etc. for the "P" heads:
https://www.alexsparts.com/
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Rocket989 wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 6:05 pm
I wouldn't reuse the balancer. I think you'll find a v-belt setup easier especially if no AC or PS. I would also replace the timing chain. Figure out what eccentric you'll be using (1-pc or 2-pc) since it & cam gear have to match (pic below).

2-pc:

1-pc:

Here's a good source for valve springs, etc. for the "P" heads:
https://www.alexsparts.com/

The 2 piece fuel pump eccentric works with the stock explorer upper timing gear. That being said a new timing set is not a bad idea.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

cparker136

Post by cparker136 »

I think I'll get a new balancer and switch to v-belts. Thanks for your guidance.

I have been reading too much about 5.0 camshafts and it has me loopy. I planned on replacing the explorer cam with the tfs1 since I have read that it does pretty well with the gt40p heads but I'm kinda freaked out about the rpm range (2,000 - 5,500). Anyone have any experience with the this rpm range on the street? This car will really just be a street car cruiser and I don't want it to be a dog down low. I was originally planning on the TFS 1 cam with a performer intake (or performer rpm) and 600 carb. Nothing serious by any means. Do you guys think I should look at something more like a Comp XE264HR or XE258HR instead (1,500 - 5500)? I mean I love the sound of the XE270HR and TFS1 but they might be too much for a street car with the performer gt combo. I thought about using the HO mustang cam but it's already a couple hundred bucks so why not push another hundred for a better off the shelf cam? Anyways, let me know if you guys have a good cam/intake set up for gt40 heads on the street. Thanks as always.

by the way, the plan is still to go to a T5 if I ever find one...

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

cparker136 wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 3:35 pm
I think I'll get a new balancer and switch to v-belts. Thanks for your guidance.

I have been reading too much about 5.0 camshafts and it has me loopy. I planned on replacing the explorer cam with the tfs1 since I have read that it does pretty well with the gt40p heads but I'm kinda freaked out about the rpm range (2,000 - 5,500). Anyone have any experience with the this rpm range on the street? This car will really just be a street car cruiser and I don't want it to be a dog down low. I was originally planning on the TFS 1 cam with a performer intake (or performer rpm) and 600 carb. Nothing serious by any means. Do you guys think I should look at something more like a Comp XE264HR or XE258HR instead (1,500 - 5500)? I mean I love the sound of the XE270HR and TFS1 but they might be too much for a street car with the performer gt combo. I thought about using the HO mustang cam but it's already a couple hundred bucks so why not push another hundred for a better off the shelf cam? Anyways, let me know if you guys have a good cam/intake set up for gt40 heads on the street. Thanks as always.

by the way, the plan is still to go to a T5 if I ever find one...
Last one I built I used the F303 cam. It works great with tall gears. I was running 4.56 gears at the time.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry