63 1/2 S22 Comet

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Donivan75

63 1/2 S22 Comet

Post by Donivan75 »

I recently acquired another comet from a buddy. He set it up for drag racing but never completed the car. The car has a 392 stroker in it. He’s done the disc brake conversion using Granada disc brakes but it’s limited on steering. Also he used a 9 inch rear out of a late 70s Lincoln Versailles. What master cylinder should I use for a set up like this and what would I have to do to get full turning radius on the car using the same setup?

Lou's Comet

Re: 63 1/2 S22 Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Donivan75 wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:50 am
I recently acquired another comet from a buddy. He set it up for drag racing but never completed the car. The car has a 392 stroker in it. He’s done the disc brake conversion using Granada disc brakes but it’s limited on steering. Also he used a 9 inch rear out of a late 70s Lincoln Versailles. What master cylinder should I use for a set up like this and what would I have to do to get full turning radius on the car using the same setup?
Since a Lincoln Versailles is basically a Granada I would think the Versailles and Granada use the same front brakes. I would think a master cylinder from a Lincoln Versailles would work fine.

As far as the steering being limited what does it have, a steering box or did they put in a rack?

Lou

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:54 am
Donivan75 wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:50 am
Since a Lincoln Versailles is basically a Granada I would think the Versailles and Granada use the same front brakes. I would think a master cylinder from a Lincoln Versailles would work fine.

As far as the steering being limited what does it have, a steering box or did they put in a rack?

Lou
I would not recommend a Versailles master cylinder, they are very large physically and were hydraulic boosted from the power steering pump. You should look into what the Granada/Monarch used to boost 4 wheel discs. They were a little known option on those models. Otherwise something from a Mustang should work.
The Granada disc spindles should work with the stock ‘65 style steering, just be careful about the taper size and depth on the spindle. I know Boss Mustangs used a deeper taper.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

A/FX wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:35 am
I would not recommend a Versailles master cylinder, they are very large physically and were hydraulic boosted from the power steering pump. You should look into what the Granada/Monarch used to boost 4 wheel discs. They were a little known option on those models. Otherwise something from a Mustang should work.
The Granada disc spindles should work with the stock ‘65 style steering, just be careful about the taper size and depth on the spindle. I know Boss Mustangs used a deeper taper.
Jim
The Granada/Monarch with 4 wheel disc uses the same master as the Versailles. I wasn't thinking of the power assist setup . The Versailles/Granada master won't work then. Plus it has different bolt pattern. Didn't know Mustangs had a 4 wheel disc option. A lot of people used masters from vettes they had 4 wheel discs, and I think a manual and power option.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:10 am
A/FX wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:35 am
Jim
The Granada/Monarch with 4 wheel disc uses the same master as the Versailles. I wasn't thinking of the power assist setup . The Versailles/Granada master won't work then. Plus it has different bolt pattern. Didn't know Mustangs had a 4 wheel disc option. A lot of people used masters from vettes they had 4 wheel discs, and I think a manual and power option.
I was thinking later generation Mustang, I may be incorrect because I really have no experience with Mustangs. I am using a F100 Master on my Cyclone, Baer discs at each corner. No power assist, an adjustable proportioning valve, and a 2lb. residual check valve for both ends.
Jim

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

A/FX wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:47 am

I was thinking later generation Mustang, I may be incorrect because I really have no experience with Mustangs. I am using a F100 Master on my Cyclone, Baer discs at each corner. No power assist, an adjustable proportioning valve, and a 2lb. residual check valve for both ends.
Jim
The OP's post was a little vague,,, didn't really say if they wanted power or manual. But if they were going with manual I would think your setup may work. Does you master have the same size reserve for the front and rear?

Haven't gotten that far with My build yet so not sure what master I will be using. I am going with manual but mine will be disc on front and drums on rear.

Lot of ways to go. Was thinking of a Wilwood master, thinking it may be smaller but haven't research any sizes yet.

Lou

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:33 am
A/FX wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:47 am

Jim
The OP's post was a little vague,,, didn't really say if they wanted power or manual. But if they were going with manual I would think your setup may work. Does you master have the same size reserve for the front and rear?

Haven't gotten that far with My build yet so not sure what master I will be using. I am going with manual but mine will be disc on front and drums on rear.

Lot of ways to go. Was thinking of a Wilwood master, thinking it may be smaller but haven't research any sizes yet.

Lou
The reservoirs are different sizes. I could have used a Baer Master Cylinder but I prefer the factory look. Here is a photo of my set up during the mock up stage when I had the combination valve installed. I eventually threw the combination valve in the trash and replaced it with a Kelsey Hayes adjustable valve.
Jim

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Looks good Jim!!

I am beyond the factory look in my engine compartment so I have too many options right now lol.

Lou

Donivan75

Post by Donivan75 »

Sorry for the being vague. I’d like to do manual considering the space is limited for a booster. Haven’t had the chance to go over anything on the car itself. I knew the previous owner and he had told me what he had done to it