Brake lines

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Lou's Comet

Brake lines

Post by Lou's Comet »

Getting ready to order brake line for my Comet. Going to get stainless and cut and flare my own lines. From what I read and the shop manual I should get 3/16, this sound right?? And do all of it with 3/16. Or should I run 1/4 to the rear and split it to two 3/16 lines running across the rear axle housing?

Thanks

Lou

vicegrip

Re: Brake lines

Post by vicegrip »

Lou,3/16 to the back is what I have always used.The stainless can be tough to flare and tough to avoid leaks,even in factory prebent lines. Take a look at these...
https://www.amazon.com/Parker-Degree-Fi ... 8P4ZN?th=1
Totally eliminates the heartache of brake fluid leaks.Really a good product.I always have them on hand.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Use 3/16” for everything. Stainless is difficult to use, I did one of my cars years ago using all stainless and swore I would never use it again. On my Cyclone and other vehicles I have restored I use NiCopp, it is a hybrid Nickel/copper product that does everything right.
Easy to cut, bend, and flare. It is very resistant to corrosion and looks good. The small concave washers that vicegrip posted are very useful, although I have not used them since switching to NiCopp.
Invest in a quality flaring tool and tube bender. I have several types of benders for different radius bends. (The money you would have spent on SS will buy you the quality tools)
As for the rear brake lines, I prefer to run a single line to the rear of the car then split it and feed each rear wheel with a separate line mounted to the frame near the wheel. I do not run a line across the rear end housing.
Again, this is just my opinion.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks Guys!! I will get a roll of 3/16.

Vicegrip,,never seen those washers before, I will get some to have just in case.

Jim, I already have a quality flaring tool that will do stainless, works nice, and a assortment of benders.

Running a single to the rear and splitting it on the body so you can feed each rear wheel from the body, you feed them each with a flexible hose? 2 flexible hoses vs one.
Other than cosmetic (no brake lines on rear housing, which is cool!) are there any other benefits?

Thanks!!

Lou

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:38 pm
Thanks Guys!! I will get a roll of 3/16.

Running a single to the rear and splitting it on the body so you can feed each rear wheel from the body, you feed them each with a flexible hose? 2 flexible hoses vs one.
Other than cosmetic (no brake lines on rear housing, which is cool!) are there any other benefits?

Thanks!!

Lou
Lou,
Routing the lines separate to each wheel is purely esthetic. Using two flex lines adds to the cost but the installation is much cleaner. I normally mount a “T” fitting somewhere near the center section then a hard line to each side. A bulkhead fitting is used to transition to the flex lines.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks Jim, cool idea!!

Lou