65 front coil springs

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Eddiecomet

65 front coil springs

Post by Eddiecomet »

Aloha from Hawaii,

I need some conformation on some 65 Comet front coil springs. I had a donor 65 convertible which I was disassembling the front suspension and I could remove the coil spring without compressing the spring. My 65 hard top had a smaller diameter spring but was taller with eight coils. On a stock 65 convertible, how many coils are there? It seems like the convertible spring may have been cut because it is shorter then the stock hard top spring. I would like the front to be up a little higher so I going to switch springs. Can any of you confirm how many coils in the stock convertible spring. If any one have dimension of the stock springs, that would help a lot.

Mahalo from Hawaii, Ed

power band

Re: 65 front coil springs

Post by power band »

the amount of coils is part of the equation where to determine spring rate. dimensions of, almost any Mustang / Falcon / MAverick / coil could be used but OEM were specific rate to model / engine / accessories etc.

aftermarket springs may or may not fit your cars look

the '63 had specific 63 Wagon front coils installed and I didn't like the nose-high rake . Re-installed saggy OEM springs for lower stance. (with heavy Shelby sway bar, good shocks and Michelins. )

the '61 has set of 6 Cyl Maverick springs cut @ 2/3 of one coil for Hiboy' stance.

Image . Image

Image . Image

Image . Image

hav fun

Eddiecomet

Post by Eddiecomet »

Aloha power band,

Thanks for the input and the pictures! Nice rides! With the convertible springs that I think is cut, the car sits to low in the front. My rear sits a little high now but I don’t have the fuel tank mounted so no weight in the rear right now.

Mahalo, Ed

Eddiecomet

Post by Eddiecomet »

Eddiecomet

Post by Eddiecomet »

Eddiecomet

Post by Eddiecomet »

power band

Post by power band »

nice Comet H'dtop with or without adding shiny ...

springs in your car may have been changed out ?.

many vendors will specify to your '65 and the springs are relatively inexpensive. To fit your needs , may take trial and error.

have fun

the springs are typically seriously compressed for R & R with shock tower tool to spring perch.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Does it rub? front looks great to me! I like em low! There are a lot of people that does lots of work to get their cars that low. kyb gas adjust shocks are kinda firm & together with soft springs make for a pretty good ride. another thing if you like the way they ride you could add a spacer,think they make a 1'' rubber spacer, dont know how much that would be at the tire.

I bought a new set of coils that had 1 coil cut off, & with the shelby drop it was way too low. so I bought some adjusters from speedway so I could put them where I wanted them;
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway ... ,3389.html

Had to do a little work to make them fit & ride in the towers right but worth it to be able to change it if needed.
Johno

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I have a set of 65 V8 coil springs and spring to a-arm mounts I'll sell you cheap. They where on the car for one year and have less than 1000 miles on them.
PM me if your interested.
Tom
tomb's 65

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Stance looks pretty cool to me now w/o a full tank in the back.
My car settles an inch or more between empty and full tank but the leaf springs need to be replaced. :roll:
Don't know if that's typical or not. About 100 lbs. added to the rear.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Eddiecomet

Post by Eddiecomet »

I have the convertible front sway bar that is an 1 1/8” with the roller bearing spring perches, blue printed upper control arms, did the Shelby drop, open tracker strut rods, roller bottom control arm, the shock tower braces, and Bilstein shocks. The shock towers had no stress cracks or holes and I added on the bottom engine cross over brace.

Thank, Eddie

Eddiecomet

Post by Eddiecomet »

The front fenders are not mounted yet just put in place to see what she looks like so I don’t know if the front tires will rub. I also did the lower arm camber kit. I still need to do the final alignment on the front end, I just have it close. It looks like she will clear as this is the same set up as the convertible but that is yet to be seen. Thanks for all your input guys, and Tom, if decide to go that route, I’ll hook up with you.

Thanks, Eddie

Eddiecomet

Post by Eddiecomet »

This is the car from the other side. The front fender is a little low but it look like the back is higher. That’s why I’m contemplating in change the front spring back to the original springs from the hard top.

Thanks, Eddie

Eddiecomet

Post by Eddiecomet »

This is the difference between the convertible spring and the original hard top spring.

Thanks, Ed

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Eddiecomet wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:34 pm

This is the difference between the convertible spring and the original hard top spring.

Thanks, Ed
The springs you show may, or may not make a difference in ride height. The wire size and static height of an unloaded spring determine the spring rate. Chances are that the shorter spring will produce a stiffer ride, the taller spring may ride softer. There is a whole science on springs and their operation. Years ago I dealt with ride height issues with my Cyclone, changed springs to alter the ride height but it made the ride uncomfortable. It was a hassle, now a day with the technology available a coil over shock/ strut is the answer. The struts under the front of my Cyclone are fully adjustable, making it easy to change ride quality or ride height.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”