Lower shock mount plates for a 60 w/ 73 Mav 8 in.

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Chiefmorris

Lower shock mount plates for a 60 w/ 73 Mav 8 in.

Post by Chiefmorris »

Hello all,
I'm rebuilding my 60 model. I have a 1973 8 in. To put in it. It fits perfectly, the question I have is what are the correct lower shock plates to use and where do I get them? I read somewhere that the Maverick used " staggered" plates...? Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks

Joe Travers

Re: Lower shock mount plates for a 60 w/ 73 Mav 8 in.

Post by Joe Travers »

Are you keeping the stock 2" leaf springs?

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Chiefmorris

Post by Chiefmorris »

Yes, I bought new ones...and new shackles...

power band

Post by power band »

Maverick staggered shock plates can be modified or early V8 Mustang plates may fit. The wider Maverick/Mustang Spring plates will work with the narrower springs but axle housing dimension will determine U-Bolt fit. I believe some have re-drilled the early plates for the Maverick axle.

the '61 simply cut off the shock ear from plate and reattached where needed in front of axle

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

power band wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:44 pm
Maverick staggered shock plates can be modified or early V8 Mustang plates may fit.
I went round and round with Traction Masters on this during the Covid lockdown. They sell a set of traction bars for early Comet/Falcon but footnote says you have to replace stock plate w/ early Mustang to install heavier U-bolts. The '63 V8 plate is narrow like the I6 plate but has larger holes for heavier bolts. Finding '63 V8 plate is nearly impossible and early Mustang should work by their word.

Need to install heavier U-bolt than I6, regardless. Make sure axle tube diameter and plate match for proper fit.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Chiefmorris

Post by Chiefmorris »

Thanks, I m not sure what I'm gonna do...the u bolts I have should fit whatever mount plate I buy

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Chiefmorris wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 4:18 pm
Thanks, I m not sure what I'm gonna do...the u bolts I have should fit whatever mount plate I buy
as long as the ubolts fit the bigger mav axle tubes!!!

like powerband mentioned, the maverick axle is bigger,(not tapered like the stock rear) I think its a 3'' tube all way to the ends, so you would need 3'' u bolts, & shock plates need to fit those u bolts. You could simply redrill your old shock plates.
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 5:55 pm
You could simply redrill your old shock plates.
I don't believe the stock plates are large enough to fit 3" tube. They are smaller than '64-'65 plates.
I had all of the dimensions written down when I was dealing w/ TM but I can't find it. I'll get a pic of the measurements after it dries up, been raining last couple days.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Here's a pic of the shock plate on my car for reference-

There is just enough room to get a socket on the nuts using the 7/16" u-bolts on the tapered axle housing.
I'm assuming all the 1st gen plates are the same size but the I6 plates are drilled for 3/8" bolts (?)

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Joe Travers wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 11:15 am
Here's a pic of the shock plate on my car for reference-

There is just enough room to get a socket on the nuts using the 7/16" u-bolts on the tapered axle housing.
I'm assuming all the 1st gen plates are the same size but the I6 plates are drilled for 3/8" bolts (?)

Joe
Yea they look too small.

65 plates are way bigger to accept the rubber isolator & metal cover for it. here is some I drilled out for 3'' tubes & left the old holes ,also had to cut a little off the outer sides to clear my narrowed rear end. but as you can see my new bolt pattern is narrower to snug up to the leafs because I deleted the rubber isolators.

Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 1:20 pm
Yea they look too small.
One reason I ordered the six-pack HD leaf springs.
I'll be able to get out of Granny shifting mode one of these days :roll:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

A couple other things come to mind. Since there probably isn't any plates that would fit a 3" tube and for 2" leafs you either have to make a set or deal with the ubolts spaced out from the leaf 1/4" on each side, maybe with spacers/shims or just run it. So should be able to find some aftermarket ones thanks to the mustang. And if you plan to make or use traction bars you could call Calvert and get just the plates for their caltracs. Nice heavy duty plates with the mounts for the bars.You might even talk them into not drilling the u bolt holes. I have bought just pieces of their caltracs and sliders so I know they will sell parts of their stuff.

here's a pic of the caltrac plates. pic I took of my blocks to move the axle back but you can see the plates are really thick & beefy ;

& one comes with 2 shock mounts,front & back in case you have offset shocks;
Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

It might be faster and easier to make some plates or have a local fab shop do it. Depending on what type of lower shock mount you need (stud, eye, etc.) you can incorporate the mount into the plate. When I altered the wheel base on mine I had to allow for the lower shock mount staying in the stock location so I fabricated new plates from 1/2” mild steel plate.
Just a thought……..
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

A/FX wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 9:24 pm
It might be faster and easier to make some plates or have a local fab shop do it. Depending on what type of lower shock mount you need (stud, eye, etc.) you can incorporate the mount into the plate. When I altered the wheel base on mine I had to allow for the lower shock mount staying in the stock location so I fabricated new plates from 1/2” mild steel plate.
Just a thought……..
Jim
Wow those are really Beefy! & I like the eyelets you made for tiedowns on the bottom of them,right?

I dont know why calvert doesn't make both sides double so they could be used for that & save confusion of packing a single & a double. would make good tiedown eyelets if it had them on both sides but it's just a single on the other side;

Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I tend to over build some things! Yes, I thought incorporating tie down eyes might be a good idea just in case the car ends up on a “hook”.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”