68 mustang V8 steering comp on a 65 comet?

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
iglooman

68 mustang V8 steering comp on a 65 comet?

Post by iglooman »

Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere on the board. I'm new here and still trying to dig things up.

Does anyone know if a 1968 mustang V8 manual steering components will work on a 1965 comet if the following are used?.........

spindles
center link
tie rod ends
idler arm
pitman arm

My car is currently a 6 cyl non-power steering and I want to beef it up. I happen to have all of the above from a 68 mustang i just don't have the car.

poboyjo65

Re: 68 mustang V8 steering comp on a 65 comet?

Post by poboyjo65 »

center link wont work. mustangs are wider. I believe the rest will work as long as you use it all together. Think it is all basically the same geometry,,,but a little beefier. Comethead used later spindles like that on his track car (I think),I'm thinking he had to get the tierod ends to match but my memory isnt what it use to be. maybe he will confirm or correct me.
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I'm thinking Mustang spindles, outer tie rods sleeves, 65 Comet V8 idler, pitman and centerlink on your 6cyl box.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Can't answer your question specifically but have owned two '68 Mustangs and built two others for my oldest son.
Front suspensions changed from '66 to '67 and again in '68 for Mustangs. I preferred the '68s because they were stronger.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

comethead

Post by comethead »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 4:11 pm
center link wont work. mustangs are wider. I believe the rest will work as long as you use it all together. Think it is all basically the same geometry,,,but a little beefier. Comethead used later spindles like that on his track car (I think),I'm thinking he had to get the tierod ends to match but my memory isnt what it use to be. maybe he will confirm or correct me.
Hey Johnnie on the Falcon I used CSRP 65-66 geometry spindles that are beefed up and use the 70-up larger wheel bearings and tie rods.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed