Tires rubbing

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Comatt

Tires rubbing

Post by Comatt »

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has rubbing issues in there cars in the back after installing lowering blocks? I put a one inch lowering block in and the car rides fine unless I have anybody sitting in the back seat. The outside edge scrapes with any weight in the back. Anyone have this issue? I have brand new shocks already in the car. Maybe an air shock would help? Any ideas on what I could use? Thanks for the info

Matt

Joe Travers

Re: Tires rubbing

Post by Joe Travers »

Hey Matt!

Wheel backspace needs to be spot on in these cars if you want to run wider tires. You have a nice set of wheels but I would suggest 4.25" backspace for maximum clearance. Just my 2 cents. Won't buy coffee @ Micky D's.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Comatt wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:34 pm
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has rubbing issues in there cars in the back after installing lowering blocks? I put a one inch lowering block in and the car rides fine unless I have anybody sitting in the back seat. The outside edge scrapes with any weight in the back. Anyone have this issue? I have brand new shocks already in the car. Maybe an air shock would help? Any ideas on what I could use? Thanks for the info

Matt
I agree with what Joe said, backspacing is critical. The section width of the tire is also important as is the width of the wheel itself. Fitting a good size tire under a Comet is a science no matter how low the car sits in the rear. Measure once, buy tires and wheels once.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Might take the tires off & see what part of the car is getting rubbed. if it's the flange of the opening you could trim the flange & the SS molding with a grinder. that inner part doesn't show but if it is the tub you might beat it out but you risk it hitting the quarter,,,not much space in between them . if I did that I think I'd put something soft in between them from inside the trunk but that would be touchy. People without the molding sometimes roll the flange with a tool that rolls it,basically it just folds the flange upwards.
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Forgot one thing.....

Check tire pressure. If it's low, the sidewall will bulge a bit and cause a rub. Tire pressure will generally drop a bit during winter months. If you haven't checked since last Fall, could be a problem.

Run recommended cold pressure after car has sat overnight before a drive. Probably around 35 p.s.i.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi