Front sway bar

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Front sway bar

Post by A/FX »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:26 pm
I used a mustang bar ,fit great. I suppose since the end links are made to articulate different angles that slightly different lengths don't matter. & the mounts fit so.

here's a pic with drooped susp,end links are straight & mounts are ok;

Johno,
Mine looks like yours, it just clears the strut rod. I have a hex on my rods so they can be turned with a wrench, that makes the clearance even less. The lack of space between the suspension struts and the ends of the sway bar are more of a concern for me. If my sway bar was 1” narrower it would make a big difference.
I like the jack pad you have under the engine, I do not have room for something like that because of the headers on my car.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:12 pm
I'm not sure what you see they did to make them fit,unless you meant Ford.
Nope, referring to the mounting bracket. They reduced the thickness of the bushing a lot to make it retrofit.
I barely have enough room to get a socket on the stock bracket nut.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jim I think it was Groover who called that a jack puck , said it looked like a hockey puck.
But the bar & rods ,,,since they articulate together for the most part I don't think they could ever touch each other. But one thought is to use shims on the mounts to gain some space if you ever see evidence of them bumping together.
Joe you could make adapter shims with more space between the new bolt holes. Would have to counter sink the old bolt's holes in the adapter shims.
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:26 pm
I used a mustang bar ,fit great. I suppose since the end links are made to articulate different angles that slightly different lengths don't matter. & the mounts fit so.

here's a pic with drooped susp,end links are straight & mounts are ok;

Super clean Johnnie 8)

Older thread but I wonder if the differences in front end width from Mustang and Comet/Falcon are compensated for in the size of the shock towers for UCA mounting and the LCA frame mounts? Adjusting those dimensions allowed usage of the same LCA, UCA, strut rods, spindles and sway bars…keeping development costs down for the new-for-1965 Ford Mustang super star.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

The fact that all parts interchange cept the centerlink would indicate to me the frame rails must be further apart. If the uppers and lowers were further apart there would need to be other changes to components.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about