Hard Brake Pedal

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
harleyddad

Hard Brake Pedal

Post by harleyddad »

My 65 has a hard pedal and pulls hard to the left. I haven't had a chance to tear into it yet. It is an original drum brake car, I did install a 67' manual MC. It also has new rubber lines installed. Any ideas or suggestions before I start removing things?
Thanks for your help...

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Hard Brake Pedal

Post by A/FX »

harleyddad wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:19 pm
My 65 has a hard pedal and pulls hard to the left. I haven't had a chance to tear into it yet. It is an original drum brake car, I did install a 67' manual MC. It also has new rubber lines installed. Any ideas or suggestions before I start removing things?
Thanks for your help...
Front drum or converted to front discs?
If drums:
Check for the LH front drum dragging when you turn the tire with the front off the ground. The self adjusting mechanism might be the cause. Is the LH drum real hot after you drive it a while?
If front discs:
If the master cylinder has a built in 10lb residual check valve and it is for a front drum application remove the residual valve and plumb in a 2lb valve. When you mix and match components they must be compatible with each other. ( we have all been there)
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

harleyddad wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:19 pm
Thanks for your help...
Probably two different problems.

When you replaced the master cyl was the old one also manual or was it power? If you changed from power to manual and left the MC pushrod mounted to brake pedal in the lower position this could cause a hard brake pedal.

What is the bore diameter of your new master cyl? If it is over 1" it could cause hard brake pedal also. Should be 15/16 or smaller..

Does it only pull left when hitting the brakes? Or does it pull left when driving also..

If it pulls left all the time, and just more when you hit the brakes prob something hanging up on left side.

If it only pulls left when braking, then you may have a brake on the right side that is not working or way out of adjustment.

As Jim said lift the car and spin the wheels,if nothing is hanging up spin right side and have someone apply brakes to see if they are working

Lou

harleyddad

Post by harleyddad »

Thanks for the reply guys, it was a drum brake system to start with a single MC. It will be a few days before I can get the car on the lift, but will check this out. The new dual MC was for a 67' Mustang, will check pushrod location and verify MC diameter.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Do you remember what the Mustang master was designed for? All drums or disc/drums will have different specs.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

harleyddad wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:52 am
Thanks for the reply guys, it was a drum brake system to start with a single MC. It will be a few days before I can get the car on the lift, but will check this out. The new dual MC was for a 67' Mustang, will check pushrod location and verify MC diameter.
Here is a picture showing the different pushrod mounts for power brakes and manual brakes. The power brake pedal is on left and manual brake pedal on right.

Lou