Where's the switch?

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
FuzzyDriver

Where's the switch?

Post by FuzzyDriver »

Whoever had my Comet before put a C4 transmission in it. At least, that's what I think it is - I'm no AT expert. I thought it was a C3 until yesterday when I found this on the tailpiece: RF-D4ZP-7A040-AA. Bing tells me this number and the 11-bolt pan count means it is a C4 made from 1973-1986.

From what I've been able to find out, the C4 is supposed to have two switches on it. One to turn on the backup lights and another to let you start your engine in Neutral or Park. I can't find this switch assembly! Could the installer have removed it? Can I get a switch from Dennis Carpenter or Ron Francis and just stick it on the linkage shaft?

Also, the installer didn't bother with the thin debris shield, whatever it's called so I need one of those, too.

Any C4 heroes out there wanna help my poor baby get on the road?
OK...so she might need a little work.Image

poboyjo65

Re: Where's the switch?

Post by poboyjo65 »

Some of the 70's trucks had the neutral safety switch on top of the steering column under the dash. I cant remember if reverse lights switch was built into it. but the earlier c4's the switch (which does both functions) was on the trans shift lever
Johno

FuzzyDriver

Post by FuzzyDriver »

The Carpenter and Francis switches look like they would go on the linkage, too. I was suprised to see nothing on my transmission and nothing obviously gone.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

here is a pic of switch mounted;

if your trans has these 2 bosses & shift lever shaft is made to fit switch you could use this type switch,it slips over the shaft;

Johno

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

It could be a C5, they look almost like a C4 but have a lockup convertor and a troublesome valvebody.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

FuzzyDriver

Post by FuzzyDriver »

Would a C5 have the same tailpiece as a C4? Do C5's not have the switch? I notice that mine does not have those ribs on the bell housing. That's what initially made me think it's a C3, but now I'm more confused than ever about what's stuck to the rear of my 6-banger. :?

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

C5
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

FuzzyDriver

Post by FuzzyDriver »

There's a very useful video on YouTube where an obviously experienced guy, Ken Collins, explains how to tell an early C4 from a later C4 from a C5. Using his explanation, I have determined that I have a C5. Mine has the big bell housing and the fine thread adjuster. And now, since I know where the switch goes (thanks much Boss and Poboy!), I can see I don't have one. Next I have to find out if a C4 switch assembly works with a C5. Here's two photo's I took that showed I have a C5:

Big Bellhousing:
Fine-threaded adjuster to right of linkage:

And here a link to the Ken Collins ("BadShoeProductions") video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Rzq5WO-MA

Hopefully future readers can use his info.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I cant see your pic well enough to say about the mounting bosses for the switch but on that video you posted at about the 16 min mark he has a c5 turned just right & looks like it has bolt bosses for the same c4 switch & your shaft looks like the right size between the levers with the groove in it to articulate the switch. but looks like it's been off for a while,& you might have to sand it back clean to slide the switch on. that may be a little foggy deja vu . :)
maybe stick your phone up in there & get a pic of the area around the base of the shifter shaft
Johno

FuzzyDriver

Post by FuzzyDriver »

I ordered a switch off eBay this afternoon. Seller says it came off a C5 and that it should work with a C4 ('course that's not important, but it does kinda confirm the switches are the same). Once it arrives, I'll check the switch contacts. Once I know the switch itself works, I'll clean up the rusty linkages and install it. Then run through the gear positions and see if it's aligned with Park/Neutral and Reverse. So I may be OK at this point. I'll keep you posted, and thanks again for your help.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I think the bolt holes in the switch are elongated for a little adjustment so it's pretty simple to get it right when you mount it.
Johno

FuzzyDriver

Post by FuzzyDriver »

Parts suppliers seem to have no idea. One said the C4 switch won't work on a C5 transmission. I didn't believe him -after all, the C5 is an upgraded C4. So I ordered the switch from a different parts supplier. It fits fine and works great. But now I have another issue related to the kickdown linkage. The stock kickdown rod comes from behind the switch to reach the lever, but the lever doesn't have a large enough radius to clear the outer edge of the switch, which prevents the lever from going back on. This might be why the installer took the switch off (just a guess). I saw on Ellie's Garage that they installed an aftermarket cable linkage to get around this issue. Her cable linkage has no parts behind the switch (the kickdown lever protrudes away from the transmission instead of towards it) and runs up to a short rod and from there to the gas pedal linkage like the stock rod does, but not so close to the tunnel.

Summit says a kickdown cable linkage won't work, but their reason is BS given that you can SEE it working on Ellie's car and they sell lots of different C4 kickdown cable linkage kits! Here's the link to her and her dad adjusting the kickdown cable. She has the same engine as I do (the 200 6 cylinder). She does not mention what kit she used or who made the kit. Has anyone fixed this issue before? Or know which kickdown cable linkage kit it takes to get rid of the rod linkage? Some kits I looked at run the linkage cable all the way to carburetor and that would be fine with me as long as it works.

Here's a link to the YT video showing her and her dad adjusting the cable linkage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLx2W2_apws

Thanks ahead of time for your help!

EDIT for Future Reader's Reference: The "stock kickdown rod" I referred to turns out to be a modified Merc-O-Matic rod. It was never intended for a C4 and some PO cut it, stuck the two pieces into a pipe, and welded it back together at whatever angle and length to force it onto the C4 they installed. This info came from Bubba on FordSix who also informed me that Mercury/Ford never put C4's in 1964 Comets or Falcons, just Mustangs. This cleared up a lot for me.