MC-51 Rust Remover

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Joe Travers

MC-51 Rust Remover

Post by Joe Travers »

Any of you guys try this stuff?
Suppose to be safe and effective. Have seen some VG results but don't know if it's all smoke and mirrors.

Have my brake drums pulled, want to clean them up for inspection.

Thanks

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Caveman49

Re: MC-51 Rust Remover

Post by Caveman49 »

I’ve not used this product, but it sounds interesting. Can’t seem to find a price for it, have you found where it’s being sold besides their website (that won’t give me a price)? I’ve used Evapo-rust and ospho, they do ok. Would be interested to know how this stuff works if you try it.
Motor Safe,
Lee

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Caveman49 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:49 pm
I’ve not used this product, but it sounds interesting. Can’t seem to find a price for it, have you found where it’s being sold besides their website (that won’t give me a price)? I’ve used Evapo-rust and ospho, they do ok. Would be interested to know how this stuff works if you try it.
Looks very interesting but information is limited. :( Was a startup company 7 years ago. Wonder if the company still exist?
I may try Por 15 remover @ $13/qt. first. Their convertor/ etching solution works very well.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

robib

Post by robib »

So much hype about rust remover. I had a situation where I needed to remove some heavy rust on some very thin fenders (1934 American Austin). Sand blasting was too harsh and sanding would not work in part, because of pitting. Obviously, I needed a lot of "something" to submerse the fenders into. I spent time trying to find that something. Finally, I saw something that looked promising. I made a patch in a five gallon pail, put in another part that needed rust removal. Let it sit for about a week. Took it out and sprayed it with water. Low and behold, the rust was GONE!!!!! Had to treat it with POR 15 metal prep immediately, as the metal will start to rust as it dries. That is how virgin the metal becomes. This "stuff" only attacks the rust NOT the steel.

So what is this stuff. READY? Molasses and water, mixed One Part Molasses/Nine Parts Water. I now have a 50 gallon drum of this stuff. I used molasses from Tractor Supply at about $11.00/gallon. One gallon of molasses makes Ten gallons of the liquid. 50 gallons equals about $55.00 cost. Don't believe me --- spent $11.00, mix up a 5 gallon pail, let the part sit for a week (depending how rusted the part is), take it out, clean in the sink with water and a brush. You won't believe it. I didn't.

robib

Post by robib »

By the way, the molasses is environmentally safe.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

robib wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:59 pm
Molasses and water, mixed One Part Molasses/Nine Parts Water. I now have a 50 gallon drum of this stuff. I used molasses from Tractor Supply at about $11.00/gallon. One gallon of molasses makes Ten gallons of the liquid. 50 gallons equals about $55.00 cost. Don't believe me --- spent $11.00, mix up a 5 gallon pail, let the part sit for a week (depending how rusted the part is), take it out, clean in the sink with water and a brush. You won't believe it. I didn't.
For that price, I may give it a shot Really need a 5 gallon bucketful for a couple of drums & backing plates (if they have to soak).
May resort to penetrating oil> wire wheel> acetone> Por converter.
Wouldn't mind spending $$ on something like MC-51, if it was available.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Groover

Post by Groover »

I've never tried the molasses route, but our founding father (Mike) swore by this method. He was, as legend has it, "Thrifty" and molasses was the cheapest easiest way to remove rust... in the Ozarks.

I have used evaporust, and as reported it works very well.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Groover wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:57 am
I've never tried the molasses route, but our founding father (Mike) swore by this method. He was, as legend has it, "Thrifty" and molasses was the cheapest easiest way to remove rust... in the Ozarks.

I have used evaporust, and as reported it works very well.
Was thinking about the long haul and the axle housing as well, Groover.
The MC-51 stuff supposedly works fast and can be brushed on. Could resort to the old Naval Jelly for stick 'em power.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop