C4 to Toploader

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
comethead

C4 to Toploader

Post by comethead »

I bought this Toploader with a Hurst shifter:
A few questions for those that may be using this setup:
Does it look like my reverse lever is correct? Should the lever at the trans be pointed up or down?
Also, the 3-4 (front shift lever I believe) rod is threaded only about halfway on the adjustment knob at the shifter tower...does that look correct? It seems to be causing some slop at the shifter with the rod not threaded through the adjuster.

This trans has the same setup and he has lots of threaded rod left:
Also, the bolt that acts as a threaded "stop" at the rear of the shifter tower is missing, is it needed and will a hardware bolt/nut do the trick?

Any ideas would help.
Thanks

Joe

Edit: some of the pics disappeared...removed links
Last edited by comethead on Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

lowrider91

Re: Toploader with Hurst Shifter

Post by lowrider91 »

Hey Joe, I have a installation instuctions I can send you a copy or fax it to you. Send me your address or fax#, Jim
It's like a Falcon only cooler!

comethead

Post by comethead »

lowrider91 wrote:Hey Joe, I have a installation instuctions I can send you a copy or fax it to you. Send me your address or fax#, Jim
Awesome.
Ill PM you with my info.
Joe

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Joe;the shifter arms are indexed correctly.The slop could be worn bushings,retainer clips installed wrong,or the shifter could be worn out.To adjust,take the top cover off,put the trans in neutral and try to slip a 1/4 inch drill bit thru the body and all three shift arms.If it won't slide in adjust the rod of the offending arm until it slides in.The stops are just 3/8"fine thread bolts and jamb nuts,you set them so the slider does not bottom out on the gears. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

comethead

Post by comethead »

Cool Roy thanks. Ill fiddle around with it. Doesnt look like the shifter is worn because the slop is only in the 3-4 rod, everything else is tight. I think it may have something worn in the linkage. I see lots of different types of linkages on the internet...I guess thats why I was confused.

Still getting the parts together to make the conversion....and Im still not sure if the mechanical clutch linkage will clear the LH Maverick exhaust manifold. I guess I can always go to a cable or hydraulic clutch.
Thanks

Joe

comethead

Post by comethead »

Bingo Roy!
I opened it up and did the adjustment using a 1/4" drill bit and now the 3-4 rod is threaded into the adjuster more and it shifts smooth.
Im going to order Hursts "pit pack" with the steel bushings to eliminate and excess play the nylon bushings may have.
Cant wait to get this thing installed

Joe

comethead

Re: C4 to Toploader

Post by comethead »

Finally got around to detailing and putting stuff together for my 4 speed change over.
Heres the stuff I did:
Repaired the crooked shifter mount hole in the trans tail housing, had the bell tapped/drilled for narrow trans pattern, installed a new speedo drive gear, rear seal, front bearing retainer and seal (I needed the larger one for use with the C5 bell), stripped and painted the housings. Then the Hurst assy was disassembled, checked, lubed and rebuilt (installed new steel bushings for the slop), fabbed some clutch rods, and rebuilt my pedal assy with the Mustang Steve bearings (and Mustang Steve brake pedal pin mod because I thought these were 65 pedals; turns out theyre pre 65 w/out the great big fat brake pedal pin for the switch). Geez...all this stuff takes time. Still waiting on the z-bar to come. Im ready for the heartbreak when I find out the left hand side of the dual exhaust interferes with the zbar...Ill cut it out and move forward.

Joe

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Every thing looks so nice. pedal assem. should last forever,things go together better clean,painted,makes me feel good bout self,during the build.you'll get a bang out of shifting.Hadit not been for change-over to 4spd...don't know if I'd still have it,after all these yrs.for sure it have less mi on it,,I like a clutch.Good-Luck!POP
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

Thanks Pop...I dont know why I bother (and waste time) getting everything all prettied up. Its just gonna get all dirty down there. But I guess its the A-1 FoMoCo Restorer in me :roll: that wont let me sleep unless it looks kinda right before I install it.

Joe

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Joe;looks great!! Sorry about the pedal assembly,I was told it was a 65,it is actually better now than it would have been.Does that bell use a 157 or 164 tooth flywheel? ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

comethead

Post by comethead »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Joe;looks great!! Sorry about the pedal assembly,I was told it was a 65,it is actually better now than it would have been.Does that bell use a 157 or 164 tooth flywheel? ROY.
Roy-meister...no worries. That pin only costs $20...and that was a nice pedal set to begin with.

The bell uses a 164 tooth flywheel...the big one for the 11" clutch to contain the massive HP put out by my stock engine :(

Joe

comethead

Post by comethead »

Just realized I have a 390 toploader (with the short snout) instead of the SB longer snout. Poo, poo and more poo.
But not too worry. From out of his top secret hide-out in Camarillo, CA comes the CALIFORNIA CALIENTE with a save! Super secret special adapter part is on the way. A very public "Thanks Roy!" You saved me an input shaft change.
Funny; the tag reads HEH-G (65 Mustang) ...but somewhere along the way seems like the input shaft was changed...and who knows what else. 45 years is a long time for tom-foolery and jackassery after all.

Joe

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Joe
Interesting trans early 5 bolt style bolt pattern 64 casting date and dual shifter mounts.
Judd

comethead

Post by comethead »

juddp39532 wrote:Joe
Interesting trans early 5 bolt style bolt pattern 64 casting date and dual shifter mounts.
Judd
Judd I think its a pretty standard 64-65 5 bolt 289 Comet/Falcon/Mustang 25 spline trans. The tail housing was the same for all three cars. On the Mustang the rear shifter bosses were drill/tapped and the forward mounts milled off (except for the upper). On the Falcon/Comet the forwards drilled and the rear Mustang mounts left alone. That tailhousing went away after 65.
I may switch over to a 8 hole/wide case and 28 spline when I rebuild this one just to update it and practice the art of wasting money :D

Joe

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

when I rebuild this one just to update it and practice the art of wasting money :D

Joe
If you meed any tech advice on this I'm real good at it and been doing it for years! :oops: