64 Comet Rack and Pinion conversion

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Studemike

64 Comet Rack and Pinion conversion

Post by Studemike »

Has anyone done such a conversion and retained the column auto trans shifter? Several of the manufacturs state it can't be done, but when theres a will there is a way! Thanks Mike

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: 64 Comet Rack and Pinion conversion

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

I have not done it but why couldn't you put the bearing and column support after the linkage? JMO,ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Roy has it.
You can put a bearing at the end of the sheet metal tube of steering colunm. I've had friends do it durring strait axle and rack and pinion convertions.
One guy (machinest) cuts a bushing that fits the end of the colunm and shaft with screws to hold it in, another found a roller bearing that fit and spot welded it on the end. They both used u-joints to join steering shaft back to rack or steering box.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:I have not done it but why couldn't you put the bearing and column support after the linkage? JMO,ROY.

Studemike

Post by Studemike »

I wonder if the angle might be to steep to reach the rack. By them eliminating the linkage they pick up about 3 to 3 1/2" placing the u joint closer to the firewall, thus reducing that angle. I'm going to call the manufacture (Unisteer) tomorrow. If that angle is to great then the joints may bind up IMO. Thanks and post what I hear from them.

Studemike

Post by Studemike »

I contacted Unisteer today and as I thought, the u-joint needs to be approx 1 1/2" from the firewall to make the angle to the rack. He stated that IDIDIT aftermarket columns with auto shift linkage will work. I have a call into them now. I'm not really wanting to change to an aftermarket column as this convertable has a nice original interior but, I need some major steering work and I like the idea of a rack. A floor shifter is not an option. I may try to find another stock column and see what it would take to shorten the shift linkage inside of the column. I'll keep ya'll posted and thanks for the input. Mike

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Would there be enough room for 2 u joints?
Johno

Studemike

Post by Studemike »

I don't know, i'm going to go look at a 64 Falcon (4 speed car) and see how the rack sits in that car and measure lenght of steering column. I'll let ya know. Mike

Santa's Comet

Post by Santa's Comet »

I've been thinking on getting a manual rack and pinion for my column auto shift 64 comet. Most info on line I've found say a aftermarket column is needed. Was wondering if you guys had found a way to do it.
Thanks in advance, NP Dave

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I have this link in my favorites, it's something I've been considering for a while

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/falcon- ... inion.html
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Santa's Comet

Post by Santa's Comet »

Thanks, I have a lot more to think about! I have a long winter ahead to decide which direction to go. The cost of updating my early 64 to 65 steering is about the same as a unisteer R&P. I still can't believe I didn't think twice about driving 100 mph in my old comet back in the day!
Have a good day! NP Dave

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

If a 65 is like a 64,no problem.Got my setup from Willie at Rod and Custom Motorsports.You saw off the old shaft,they provide the lower bearing,2 u joints and shaft that you cut to length....and instructions.Retained my original column shifter with a big block,C6,and headers.

Santa's Comet

Post by Santa's Comet »

Vicegrip,
I do not know if the 65 column is the same but the fix you mention should be at bottom.
Was this on a Unisteer R&P? Do you happen to have any pictures?
Thanks for the info! I would really like to put R&P in but not change my stock column.
NP Dave

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Dear Santa,I would like.....couldn't help myself.You saw off the orig.steering shaft on the box end.They provide the lower bearing and retainer for the bottom of the column.It dosen't interfer with the shifter tube and lever.My rack is late 80's Fox unit connected with the double u joint deal.This may be moot,however, as I have the M2 coil over suspension with disc brakes,shock towers removed.Really slick setup but not thinking you want to go this route.I'll look at the Unisteer and see if my column would be compatible.

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

After looking at the Unisteer,I see that the closer to the firewall your top u joint is,the better...to reduce the extreme angle of the steering shaft.Looking back,I did some creative cutting to the column and shifter tube,bent the shift lever and rod to clear everything.The u joint is real close to the firewall.
I'm pretty sure you could make it work.Don't have any good pics and car is in storage for the winter but I'll see if I can get in there and take a few.

Santa's Comet

Post by Santa's Comet »

Vicegrip,
I'm starting to get a picture of the problem with the linkage at the firewall. Maybe a pocket to the side or a can to recess back behind bearing?
I'll be pulling my 64 back in the shop soon to put a Maverick rear end in. I'll take a closer look at that column then!
Thanks again for your help!
NP Dave