Post by cam shaft »

We have a toploader 4speed with tag, HEH-BK. Looking for information. Thanks

vicegrip

Re: HEH-BK

Post by vicegrip »

cam shaft

Post by cam shaft »

We realize the HEH-BK is not listed. It has been referenced in other places and on other sites. When we inspected the car we thought is was the HEH-X, but after cleaning we are pretty sure it is BK. I have a couple a photos and apparently I am not smart enough to get them out of photobucket and into this post. We are not here to get into an argument about the car or tranny, just seeking info on the HEH-BK. If some one wants to send a pm with email address, I will forward photos.
thnx

cam shaft

Post by cam shaft »

I hope you can view these pictures ! This is about the best we can do with tranny in the car.

[Image

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I think its the Comet version of the HEH-BX. HEH-U was the 64 hipo Comet 4 speed. I think someone told me before that HEH-BK is the 65 hipo Falcon/Comet 4 speed. I used to have a bunch of top loaders and a guy at a swap meet years ago bought most of mine. He told me he was looking for a BK, which I did not have or had ever heard of before that day. Today I only have three extra toploader left, I wish I held on to them. Check the botton for a vin number, K cars had vins stamped on the tranny.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

comethead

Post by comethead »

There's a couple guys with tons of Toploader experience that may be able to help you ID the trans:
http://www.toploadertransmissions.com/contact.html
And http://www.toploaderheaven.com/contact/contact.htm

Good luck

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

cam shaft

Post by cam shaft »

found the VIN., thank you

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

cam shaft wrote:found the VIN., thank you
Awesome, that should confirm that it is a hipo tranny. Seems that you are finding more and more proof that your car is a legit hipo car. I am always a doubter on these cars without paper work, but you got me starting to believe.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

cam shaft

Post by cam shaft »

We realize without the build sheet there is never proof. This is just a little project that we are in over our head and under water with, but we intend to research it as best we can, document as much as possible, and attempt to restore correctly. Thanks to all for the past and future help!!!

comethead

Post by comethead »

cam shaft wrote:We realize without the build sheet there is never proof. This is just a little project that we are in over our head and under water with, but we intend to research it as best we can, document as much as possible, and attempt to restore correctly. Thanks to all for the past and future help!!!

Camshaft, your project sounds great! I wish you all the luck with it and try to keep a restoration thread going here so we can follow along.
Build sheet or not...irrefutable evidence of the cars origin can exist.
Because of the rarity of the beast you may need to rely heavily on 65 Hipo Mustang resto's.
A couple of books I recommend (if you don't have them already) is Bob Mannels "Small Block Ford" and Tony Gregory's "Hipo Mustang". Lots of good details.
Good luck.

Joe

brucembh

Post by brucembh »

I also have a HEH-BK. I bought it to put in a Mustang. It was told that it came from a 65 HI PO Comet/Cyclone. You are confirming that the story is true. I haven't counted the teeth, but I was told it is a close ratio. I have the bellhousing/shifter/Zbar and more that I believe are from the same car. Regardless, they are period correct.

I have them listed on craigs list: http://nmi.craigslist.org/pts/4685101743.html

I would prefer to sell this to a Comet fan!

brucembh

Post by brucembh »

My previous post said I want to sell my HEH-BK. BUT:

I bought a 66 Capri and intend to put the trans behind a 5.0 HO I've built.

Look at the picture, the current shifter is aft like a Mustang. But this housing has two middle tapped mounts for a shifter. Will these line up for a 66 or is this for a 64-65 Comet? I don't want to trade out the housing if the BK is a rare item. I would rather sell it and find a 66-67 Comet/Fairlane trans.

Advise on shifter location for a 66?

brucembh

Post by brucembh »

Can't attach a picture. 'board attachment quota has been reached'

comethead

Post by comethead »

Bruce I believe the shifter location is right in the middle of the tail housing like the Fairlane.
Check the Comet lounge sticky on how to post pics.

Joe

Hipocomet65

Post by Hipocomet65 »

Hi I have a hipo 65 comet. The trans is a heh-bk Seems the k was over stamped on data tag. Looks like it may be an s. Hard to see. I know car is legit hipo car. Found original owner. He is from Kansas. Hope this helps as to the mystery of the heh-bk trans. Seems mercury would get a special order for a hipo and then gather parts for the order. maybe not sure.