Finally started leafspring relocation!

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
383MERC

Finally started leafspring relocation!

Post by 383MERC »

Hi guys. I finally started the leaf spring relocation project on the 63 racecar. My bros and I hauled her to the shop, took out all of the rear suspension and got to work. I installed wheel tubs flush with the outside of the frame rails about 20 years ago and just never moved the springs. Now it's time to get some meat under the back of this thing!
We're moving the springs in about 3 1/2" on each side. Started by fabricating our own front spring pockets and welding them into the frame rails. We have the springs hanging in place now and are getting ready to start in the back. Looks like we're going to fabricate our own shackle system similar to the Crites, but much stronger and with more support. I'll add more info as we move forward. Looks like we may be able to fit the 28 x 10 1/2" slicks we were hoping for.
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
1964 Fairlane 2 door sedan T-Bolt Clone
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

Lip Ripper

Re: Finally started leafspring relocation!

Post by Lip Ripper »

I was able to squeeze 26/9 slicks under my 62. That extra 3 inches on the ground would've been nice. It seemed to me that a quarter turn slippage equated to losing a tenth if they didn't bite all the way.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

I have been running 26 x 8 1/2" on the old girl for 24 years! But, if the track was just a bit ugly, I had issues. Now that I have the CalTrac system on the car, she really hits. I need the extra bite for sure.
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Mark;That should do the trick!! You should have a larger selection of tires now!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Nice work!
Like Roy, U won't power steering either, maybe individual rear brake hand levers for steering :lol:
Interested in what U come up with for rear shackles.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Aussie Comet 1964

Post by Aussie Comet 1964 »

Nice work Mark, I am just doing the same thing at the moment on my 64 Ranchero, but I have mounted the front spring mount inside the original chassie rail, about 5 1/2" difference & the flat floor of the tray, allows me to switch the rear rails from left to right to mount the rear shackles on, I can fit 275 tires easily now. I am just about to weld it back together now. I might have to remember this to do on my other Comet when I get back on to it, I have already done the tubs on it but still have to do the springs. John
1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop 302cu C4 10.61 @ 126.68mph
1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop project
1964 Fairlane 500 4 dr daily driver
1964 700 Mercury Truck
1964 Comet Ranchero

ec164

Post by ec164 »

Nice looking work! Do you plan on a touch more gear to make up for larger slick?......Al
Your ahead in a Mercury....all the way!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

good lookin work Mark! do you have a thread or place on here where you have some good pics of your car? underhood & all? or is it all a top secret family recipe? :lol: if not when you get er done you should throw up a few pics of it & all its' tricks, new & old :P .
do you ever hear from your old 65s new owner? I thought he got on here at one time :? .
Aussie Comet 1964 wrote:Nice work Mark, I am just doing the same thing at the moment on my 64 Ranchero, but I have mounted the front spring mount inside the original chassie rail, about 5 1/2" difference & the flat floor of the tray, allows me to switch the rear rails from left to right to mount the rear shackles on, I can fit 275 tires easily now. I am just about to weld it back together now. I might have to remember this to do on my other Comet when I get back on to it, I have already done the tubs on it but still have to do the springs. John
I have heard of people thinking of swapping the rails but haven't seen any yet. John I hope you'll start a thread & share your joy with us ! with colder weather coming we all need inspiration :wink: It really helps! :D
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Aussie Comet 1964 wrote:Nice work Mark, I am just doing the same thing at the moment on my 64 Ranchero, but I have mounted the front spring mount inside the original chassie rail, about 5 1/2" difference & the flat floor of the tray, allows me to switch the rear rails from left to right to mount the rear shackles on, I can fit 275 tires easily now. I am just about to weld it back together now. I might have to remember this to do on my other Comet when I get back on to it, I have already done the tubs on it but still have to do the springs. John
WOULD REALLY LIKE TO SEE U PUT UP A THREAD WITH PICS ON THE RAILS BEING SWAPPED SIDE FOR SIDE!
I idea hit me a ton when I read it!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

pro64

Post by pro64 »

Nice work mark, sure going to hook up now maybe some wheels up action im guessing 8)

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

Mark, Looks good! I like the stove down on the side. Looks like a Pennsylvania based garage in the winter time.
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

Doug- Yes, that stove does a pretty decent job for the size of the garage. We have a oil burner, but my bro tries to keep costs down by burning wood. haha
Al- We are going to change from a 4.10 to a 4.30 gear to start out. A 4.56 may be a little too steep. Easy enough to change later if we need to.
Poboyjo65- I have not heard anything for quite some time. Maybe Dave has an update? Last I saw, he was stripping it for new paint. Here are a few pictures of the car. She's an old girl and not a show car by any means, but she works awesome and has won her share of races. Been racing her for 24 years and figure there's about 2,000 passes on her.
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

Started on the rear shackles last night. What we came up with is to add longer tubes off the frame rails with bracing for strength. I can't imagine these are going anywhere. We were going to box them in on the bottom, but I really don't think it needs it. Tonight we will start the shackles. They will be a bent style that we will make ourselves. The inside will not come all the way to the edge of the spring because of floor clearance, so the inner shackle will have a slight bend as well. I think they will be fine. Most of the serious action is going on up front anyway. I'll keep updates coming.
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

MARK,everything your doing is kick booty and looks as well,,hell even your welds look good ,and that goes double for the little comet,,thanks for the pic's....good luck and keep up the nice work.....POP
pop/glenda

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

383MERC wrote:Started on the rear shackles last night. What we came up with is to add longer tubes off the frame rails with bracing for strength. I can't imagine these are going anywhere. We were going to box them in on the bottom, but I really don't think it needs it. Tonight we will start the shackles. They will be a bent style that we will make ourselves. The inside will not come all the way to the edge of the spring because of floor clearance, so the inner shackle will have a slight bend as well. I think they will be fine. Most of the serious action is going on up front anyway. I'll keep updates coming.
Mark, I like your shackle solution much better than Crites' zig-zag shackle bracket. Nice job!
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd