Wheels question

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Red64Comet202

Wheels question

Post by Red64Comet202 »

Hey guys

I've got a 64 Comet 202 and I'm thinking of putting 15" wheels all the way around. Will 15x7s fit, if not what will? What backspacing is required. Can anyone recommend a brand?

Many thanks in advance.

Dennis

Ragtopmerc

Post by Ragtopmerc »

Dennis,

I'm thinking the 7's might be too big. Ford wasn't thinking when they designed those rear wheel wells. You'll run into two probems. First, you can't get them on besause of the wheel opening. The other problem that I ran into with some P205's is on a hard turn the leaf springs flexed to one side and the axle stop (which stick right into the wheel well) ripped a hole in the sidewall of my tire. That was scary as I was in a hard turn at the time. I ended up cutting the axle stops out which probably isn't a good idea but you gotta do what you gotta do.

dgpmerc

Post by dgpmerc »

Sorry this took so long to answer your question but I just found this forum today.

A 15x7 wheel will fit easily IF and only if it has the correct backspacing which is 4.5 inches. I've got a set of 16x7 centerline billets on my 64 hardtop and they fit perfectly. Right now I'm running a 205/55-16 tire, and it looks like I probably have room to go to a 225/50-16 in back. One thing I will warn you of is if you already have a set of wheels they probably won't fit. 4.5 inches of backspacing is a bunch and you have to specifically try to find a manufacture that produces them. Go to centerlines website and they have a really nice application guide that will show you exactly what will work on your car.

I ordered my wheels thru summit racing, and get this, centerline manufactured them specifically for my order that week at no extra charge, even though the design I picked had been discontinued. To give you an idea of how rare that much backspacing is, my wheels were the first ones made in that design with the 4.5 inches of backspace (which is the maximum they can manufacture in a 7 inch wheel.

Anyway, good luck and let us all know if your wheels will work.

Dave
1964 Comet Calient HT

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Wheel size

Post by A/FX »

Why don't you try to "alter" the wheelbase? The rear wheel opening is tear drop shaped, if you move the axle centerline back you can gain clearance in the front part of the opening. I did this many years ago with my '64 Cyclone A/FX clone. I fit 235-70 radials on 15 x 7 Crager SS wheels. Of coarse you have to make a new driveshaft, move the upper axles stops, and relocate the lower shock mounts. I have a 9" from a '57 Ford wagon under my car. If you have body sway in a hard turn, install a panhard rod from the frame to the center section.
Good Luck!!
A/FX
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Red64Comet202

Post by Red64Comet202 »

Thanks to all that replied.

A/FX,

How do you move it back? I'm not at all familiar with this modification. Do you have any pics of your rear wheel well? 235/70s are a bit large, I just wanted to go with 205/60R15 if at all possible. I'm hoping I can get away with just a little massaging of the outer wheel well.

Thanks again to everyone.

PS. spread the word let's get this site moving!!!!

dgpmerc

Post by dgpmerc »

Hey Red64,

If you're only trying to put 205s on they will fit easily with the righ wheel offset. DONT mess up the body of your car trying to fit tires just because you have the wrong wheels! Moving the rear axle back a little bit is something that can be done to keep the tire from hitting the front of the wheel opening, but once again with the right wheels and a fairly conservative tire choice you shouldn't have any problems. Good luck!

Dave

Red64Comet202

Post by Red64Comet202 »

You're right about that DGPMERC. I want to keep it as is, I suppose worse case I can resell the wheels.

62Comet

Post by 62Comet »

How about wheels and tires to fit under my 62?

Hillbilly Comet Man

Post by Hillbilly Comet Man »

Bill I am running 14x6s with 3.5" of back spacing and 205 70 14 tires.I had to roll my wheel well lip in to keep them from rubbing.If I had it to do over I would've went with the 195s.My wheel tire combo will not even come close to fitting a Ranchero or My 63 Comet wagon Apparently wagons and Rancheros used a wider rearend or wider brake drums.I have a set of 14x7 Champ 500s on my 63 2 dr but they have a 4.5" backspace.As for the wagon it has 13x5.5s without much room to spare.Hope this helps,Heath
19'62 2Dr. Sedan, Black with Red interior.
1962 Comet S-22,Champagne w/beige and white interior
Black 1993 Ford Lightning

64Cyclone

Post by 64Cyclone »

I have a 62 and a 63 falcon, each with 16x7 (215x65x16 tires) torque thrusters on the rear of them. It took me a while how to figure out how to stuff the biggest tire under a round body with out rubbing. The key was a custom rear end from Currie which is 55 inches from mounting surface to mounting surface. The Stock 63 falcon/comet V8 8 inch rear is 56 inches.

Here is a link to the 63 to see how the tires look:

http://www.tffn.net/mags/october/doug.html

On my 62 wagon, I had to modify how the rear end mounted to the springs. With the stock locating pins on the 6 cyl springs, the tires were too far forward and would hit the the rockers. I had to move the entire rear end back two inches and adjust the pinion angle. I did this with a custom 'wedge' that had a 2 inch offset holes and an angle so the the pinion pointed up 4 degrees to match the 4 degree negative offset the engine /tranny have.

Here is a link to the wagon:

http://www.tffn.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1601

I hope this helps.
Doug

64 Cyclone, Mustang II IFS, EFI, T5
63 Sprint Convert, Mustang II IFS, EFI, 4 speed
63 Fairlane Sport Coupe, 4 speed

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Doug, I don't want to get off subject, but I am impressed with your work, the Falcons are cool. I had a chance to buy a 2dr wagon years ago for $400 wish I would have, but no money or time.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Hillbilly Comet Man

Post by Hillbilly Comet Man »

Doug,Your Wagon is Awesome.I hope to find a 63 2 dr Comet Wagon someday. What is the backspacing on your wheels?Thanks,Heath
19'62 2Dr. Sedan, Black with Red interior.
1962 Comet S-22,Champagne w/beige and white interior
Black 1993 Ford Lightning

64Cyclone

Post by 64Cyclone »

Heath, Mike,

Thanks for the compliments. I had fun building these cars myself in my garage. I did all the work except the exhaust systems.

The wheels are off the shelf 16 x7 thorque thrusters, which I believe have a four inch offset.
Doug

64 Cyclone, Mustang II IFS, EFI, T5
63 Sprint Convert, Mustang II IFS, EFI, 4 speed
63 Fairlane Sport Coupe, 4 speed

62Comet

Post by 62Comet »

Heath, Mike
Thanks for the input, it is appreciated.
Bill